It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Anybody at Mentone??? 

Any pics or news from Mentone?

Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:35 pm

I was told that almost nobody flew the first 2 days due to rain.

I hear that Chris and John Rountree are there but no further details.

The rain was forecast to pause for at least half the day yesterday and
I hope folks were finally able to fly.

I just checked the weather and they have a MUCH better forecast for
today and tomorrow so maybe things are looking up.

Marc

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:52 am
Site Admin

From Chris.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:45 am

Is Mentone this week, or next week? :noidea

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:52 am
Site Admin

I hope the weather clears up for y'all...

And that nobody forgets the far superior big ficker... :realcrazy

I still miss the big guy :badluck :yoda2 :Wolvie

:Jim :Jim :Jim

:fickyou

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:32 am

:Jim and you Fricker's need to be there next year we had a blast :fickyou

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Christine cleaned up on the awards and competitions :dance

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:12 pm
Site Admin

Greg Spicola wrote:
Christine cleaned up on the awards and competitions :dance

She is such a great representative of the gyro community.
The two of you are one of the best to spread the love of gyro flying.
I just hope you guys keep doing it forever!!!
Thank you guys for all that you do.
We need more of you.
:half
:gyro2
:dropbear
:maga
:Jim

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:03 am
Site Admin

mooo pics
Maybe it's just me......or the pictures are showing less attendance.....???
It seems as if besides the dealers there wasn't a whole lot of attendees!
Saturday's pictures are showing people gone already....and for some reason, I thought I saw the banquette being posted on Friday?
Ummmmm isn't normally Sunday the pack up and go day?
Not trying to stir the shit but am I seeing it wrong?
:noidea

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:44 am

Reports I got back from my folks were that attendance was very light, almost more vendor-owned machines than privately-owned. Forecast weather could have been an issue.

I think, personally, that there are just a lot more choices for gyroplane events now. Both the quality and quantity of events and venues have improved a great deal in recent years. It is clear that gyroplanes are in a come-back mode and that the sport is changing. I'm not sure whether it is for better or worse, but there is a shift from builders to flyers. One of the up sides is more people are getting training. One of the down sides is that many of the new pilots are not mechanically inclined, and have only the minimum of understanding of gyroplane systems. This is a big change over the typical builder/pilot model from previous decades.

This could mean that events are going to have to change a bit to survive. Some of the newer venues have a completely different "feel" and culture. What is clear, is that the people are out there with interest. If they are not at a particular event, weather notwithstanding, perhaps the event needs work.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:12 pm
Profile WWW

Bottom line there was a lot of new people that were introduced to Gyros and were able to take an intro ride, what brings in more people to the gyro Community is them being able to get their feet off the ground and fly. :gyro2
Between Oshkosh and Mentone I gave about 50 or so introduction rides, out of those 60% were Pilots of another category or class of aircraft getting a ride in a gyroplane for the first time and 40% were people that weren't Pilots getting a ride in the gyroplane for the first time.
Bottom line is I and other gyro pilots and cfi's love introducing the freedom of gyro flight to as many people as possible and the PRA convention is an excellent venue for that :yoda2

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 pm
Site Admin

Yes, that's what I have heard too.
Not being there I have to rely on the reports coming from others.
But she said the interest is there and strong.
It's the regulars that don't show interest anymore.
I guess the 87 gyros at the fly in will be remembered as the peak.
Keep them introducing to gyros.
You guys are doing an absolutely fantastic job!

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:19 pm
It's pretty clear how the Eurotub design concepts have pretty much won out. ELA, Magni, Autogyro, Titanium, AR-1, Tango. It's only 6 years (I think) since my first Bensen days, when I think the 2 MTO's (one was Des Butt's) were the only representatives. I think more than anything it speaks to the practicality and utility of these designs.
Right now my impression is that the two companies doing the best job of marketing their aircraft are Greg / Abid with the AR-1, and Autogyro, from what I see at events like Sun n Fun and Oshkosh. I hope you Titanium and Tango boys start showing up at these non-gyro aviation shows for the exposure.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:40 pm

The biggest problem that I see is the lack of the U.S. entry level gyros, the kits for the DIY types...all the euro tubs are great, very capable machines, but the price to enter disqualifies all but the older guys who have more disposable income than the younger people.

The industry is changing for sure, Rotax only makes the 582 and 9 series engines, Hirth is still questionable, MZ sold to China, the only real kit makers are Dominator and Sportcopter, Air command and gyrobee are small players now, There is only one US rotor blade manufacturer, all the other blades come from Europe.

I sure would like one of the newer style gyros, but if I ever want to retire one day I just can't spend that kind of money...not poor mouthing, I have a good job, but no pension, so if I want to retire before I am 80 yrs old, a new gyro is just not in the cards. It sucks, because I am sure I would be a good euro gyro owner. :)

I do have a plan........

I think the pilot/builder days are all but over for most. There are still a few of us left out here.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:40 pm
elwood wrote:
The biggest problem that I see is the lack of the U.S. entry level gyros, the kits for the DIY types...all the euro tubs are great, very capable machines, but the price to enter disqualifies all but the older guys who have more disposable income than the younger people.

The industry is changing for sure, Rotax only makes the 582 and 9 series engines, Hirth is still questionable, MZ sold to China, the only real kit makers are Dominator and Sportcopter, Air command and gyrobee are small players now, There is only one US rotor blade manufacturer, all the other blades come from Europe.

I sure would like one of the newer style gyros, but if I ever want to retire one day I just can't spend that kind of money...not poor mouthing, I have a good job, but no pension, so if I want to retire before I am 80 yrs old, a new gyro is just not in the cards. It sucks, because I am sure I would be a good euro gyro owner. :)

I do have a plan........

I think the pilot/builder days are all but over for most. There are still a few of us left out here.

What about the Tango? Seems like a great option at a much better price.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:31 pm

elwood wrote:
the only real kit makers are Dominator and Sportcopter, Air command and gyrobee are small players now, There is only one US rotor blade manufacturer, all the other blades come from Europe.

I would love to have a Sportcopter. They look fantastic from an engineer's view. But I don't have that kind of money.

I am still collecting parts for my Gyrobee build. But dealing with Starbee takes time.

If I'm lucky, it takes only two weeks to get an answer to a simple question.

This year I have not been lucky. I have had engine, blades, head and instruments for ages.

I also have a new tank seat and nearly all aluminum. I just need hardware pack (AN stuff),
wheel group, seat belt harness and (preferably) a stick.

But I am dead in the water....

Cheers
Erik

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:45 am

The Tango is the best deal for the buck out there for sure. They go for just north of $40k completed.
The Trendak Tercel that I flew in Utah went for $118k , The arrowcopter is $150K+
I think the AR-1 is around $80k, all fine machines for sure.

Just hard to spend that kind of jack for something I can't afford to insure.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:44 am
elwood wrote:
The Tango is the best deal for the buck out there for sure. They go for just north of $40k completed.
The Trendak Tercel that I flew in Utah went for $118k , The arrowcopter is $150K+
I think the AR-1 is around $80k, all fine machines for sure.

Just hard to spend that kind of jack for something I can't afford to insure.

What I like about the Tango is that it takes the basic design and makes it accessible with the use of cheaper, but by no means inferior, components like the Yamaha.
The other options are nice, I agree, but probably don't give you much more than the Tango, at twice the price.
As for Arrowcopter, I'm not sure there is even a flying example left in the US. I spoke to the guy who flew in with the Arrowcopter and Aircam to Bensen Days a few years ago when I was at Oshkosh. His Arrowcopter was sent back to Austria for some repairs, and somehow got stuck there when Arrowcopter went belly up. Besides the fact that it was way overbuilt, the requirements for Austrian approval for certification were so stringent, that the cost was not sustainable.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:44 am

The great thing about the tango is that they have listened to the gyro community and have upgraded their machines to what people want, they are willing to work with the customers.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:27 am

elwood wrote:

Totally agree on this. The first couple gyros I built (I know back in the 90's) were less than $8k or $9K total including the Rotax 503DC engine. It's tough to justify $60k-$100k for a gyro.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next