It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 VW powered Bensen for sale 

I've got a new project and need to sell my Bensen. 1982 Bensen glider kit. 1985 Brock VW conversion. 1835 HAPI engine. 23 foot Phoenix blades. 52X28 Tennessee prop. Electric pre-rotator.

When I bought this the previous owner said he never flew it. He said he tried but couldn't get it off the ground. Considering the 50X20 prop that was on it and insufficient thrust it produced, I don't think it ever flew till last fall when I mounted the new Tennessee prop.

You can see the maiden flight on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZJF8J27DNA

$6000 cash, and I can deliver it to Bensen Days. Also includes the trailer it's sitting on in the first picture, all packed up and ready to go. The pictures and video are before the pre-rotator was installed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:15 pm
Site Admin

How cool is that :like I hope it finds a good home :koolaid :yoda2 :Wolvie

Best of luck mate :bunny

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:36 am

A v dub will fly you just fine as long as you are not a heavy weight. :Nazi

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:03 am

I am fighting a wild hair to return back to another root....my Bensen 90 Mac! Mike as I understand the trail, is using the engine I had. Except my log books show 10 engine outs with that beast. From broken carb floats, to fuel pump, to a broken jug, spit out plugs, I landed that beast without a scratch.

I said I am "fighting" that urge.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:33 am

This one certainly isn't for heavyweights. David was 230ish in the video. Probably close to it's limit.

I'm not gonna pretend the VW is a whole bunch more reliable than a well cared for Mac, but it is easier to get parts for. And a lot cheaper to rebuild when the time comes.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:58 am

If you put a gearbox on it, and water cooled heads, you would have a Rotax 912!!
:laughing

http://www.greatplainsas.com/bf2004.html

http://kitplanes2.com/blog/2015/09/remaster-2300-turbo/

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:44 am
Site Admin

Someone under about 180# flying from a sea level-ish strip will have a blast with that :like

What size rotors are they? Got them started by hand ok....

I never used a prerotator until I began flying into proper airstrips.... I started using Gerry Goodwin rotors that I could give 2 decent pushes and get them up to speed real quick... but then I changed to DW's which was doable, but harder (more time consuming) .... and spam can pilots cant understand why you don't get going when they line up behind you.... so I used a car starter prerotator just to help get it over the hump... perfect!... :like

This was the first machine I built, started out normally aspirated EA81 DD and ended up with a rayjay turbo under the sump with a little pump to pull the oil out of the turbo and back into the sump..... everyone has seen this video, when the rubber boost pipe blew off the turbo on a big takeoff.... Sam (from Titanium) was videotaping it and thought I was going to drive it into the ground... I just didn't want to go over the fence at the end of the strip incase I couldn't get it going again... would have been a nightmare to get back on the trailer if it went over the fence and wouldn't start again.

I built quite a few for other people, and Sam and I built his rotax 582 machine, which I tested, but all of the machines I built for myself were EA81 turbos... I liked the way the power came on... I used a 55x34 wood prop mostly.... Every prop I got I went up a couple of degrees in pitch to try and quieten them down... people could hear me before they could see me :laughing I sure couldn't sneak up on anyone :badluck :) :killme

I like heavier machines, as long as they have enough power.... my turbo machines were good for 90 kts, cruise at about 70 kts..... Sams 582 machine did everything at 50 kts, cruise... flat out.... same.... so was hard to go anywhere together.... I couldn't go that slow :realcrazy :laughing :yoda2 :Wolvie

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]