It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 My new to me, very old Bensen B-8M 

Guys, I have a confession to make. Because it had been so long since I had posted on a gyro forum, I posted on PRA first because I had Mentone on my mind. Then I came back here yesterday, and remembered what I had forgotten: that even though I was treated well and welcomed at that other forum, I like you guys better.

So, anyway, late last year I was talking about building a gyro, but life sometimes leads us in other directions, but I'm back on course now. Here is what I have.

I bought a B-8M. It came complete with what appear to be brand new 22' Dragon Wing blades, a Wunderlich (spelling) prerotator, a rotor head (I don't know the manufacturer), Mcculloch 90hp motor(1 rib in the exhaust port), 8 gallon seat tank, a small trailer, and a complete airframe. It's N numbered, but the registration expired in Feb, but I don't think I'll have any problem getting it reissued. I'm sure someone that knows how to fly could fly it right now.

Would you guys fly it as is after doing all of the maintenance it requires, of course. Or would you start from scratch, build a new one and use this Bensen as a donor?

And by the way, it cost me only $650. :Cheapass

Here it is.

2004 Buckeye Breeze LX N90768, ELSA
2002 Infinity PP2 N9902Z, ELSA
1977 Bensen B-8M N32GD, ELSA, 90hp Mac and 22' Dragon Wings

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:21 am

Definitely take it apart and check EVERYTHING out. It might clean up, but you really need to be sure. Key points are the rotorhead and controls. The engine, of course, will need a once-over (or twice, or more) by someone who can verify it has been properly modified and lacks critical flaws.

Just as a start, we usually throw out the rudder control cables and rotorhead bearing. Cheap insurance. The frame comes down to how well it was drilled, how deep the corrosion goes and if it has cracks. You may expect to replace a lot of the steel parts (bolts, nuts, misc hardware) if it was not stored in a really dry environment.

I saw that one floating around a bit ago on some of the for sale sites. It looks like a decent find if the motor is OK. If the rotors are in good shape, then it is a good buy just on that item.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I can only agree with Jon's post.
Looks like the thing is in pretty good condition from the pics.
An experienced eye could be very valuable if you have access to one.
If not we have to have pictures posted here that are close ups and high res so we can see the details of the critical parts.
We do have the "experts" on staff here :half
$650 was a great deal. The DragonWing blades were worth 3 times that!!!
Good catch.
Take some close up pics if you can.
:plike

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:38 am

I note the picture has been altered, presumably to delete the N-number. That machine, with the pre-rotator and instruments will not make PART 103 weight. If you got a proper FAA bill of sale and transfer of N-number, no problem, otherwise there are some hoops to jump through. If you bought it as parts or unregistered, then you need to use the parts to build another machine to be strictly legal and include 51% parts you created yourself.

People have un-built and re-built machines to "claim" owner-builder status, but it isn't strictly legal. There is no "proper" way to re-register an unregistered gyroplane. If the registration expired, but was not properly transferred, it gets complex to "properly" untangle.

Do people fly machines such as that claiming PART 103 and not worry about registration? Some do. Do they paint and old "banger" and claim they built it? Some do. Do they get away with it? Sometimes. Is it strictly legal? Nope.

You may be already aware of all this, and if so, I apologize for mentioning it. Some people take offense at regulations being pointed out, and that is not my intent. I don't know how you purchased that machine, nor do I know its current status. I am merely pointing out these items in case you do not know.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:14 am
Profile WWW

Did it have a log book?

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:40 am

IT IS A DEATH TRAP! I will take it off your hands and give you $1000 to absolve you from all guilt, and I will make sure it does not get into the wrong hands where someone could get hurt.

OK does it run?
Very important, if it does not run, what will it take to get the engine running?
If too much work to salvage engine, you may want to change to a rotax or something, then that can influence the rest of the rebuild.
I agree with what has already been said by Jon,
If the Mac is dead, I would just slap a rotax 582 on it with a 2:00 to 1 gearbox, and if you are not a big guy...less than 200lbs (sorry Jon) it should fly just fine.
Oh yeah and get rid of the turf tires! real brakes would be an improvement.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:43 am

elwood wrote:
and if you are not a big guy...less than 200lbs (sorry Jon)

Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:44 pm
Profile WWW

OK.....Like Gabor then also...... sheesh! I wasn't trying to pick on anyone.....
:laughing

Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:58 pm

JonCarleton wrote:
I note the picture has been altered, presumably to delete the N-number. That machine, with the pre-rotator and instruments will not make PART 103 weight. If you got a proper FAA bill of sale and transfer of N-number, no problem, otherwise there are some hoops to jump through. If you bought it as parts or unregistered, then you need to use the parts to build another machine to be strictly legal and include 51% parts you created yourself.

People have un-built and re-built machines to "claim" owner-builder status, but it isn't strictly legal. There is no "proper" way to re-register an unregistered gyroplane. If the registration expired, but was not properly transferred, it gets complex to "properly" untangle.

Do people fly machines such as that claiming PART 103 and not worry about registration? Some do. Do they paint and old "banger" and claim they built it? Some do. Do they get away with it? Sometimes. Is it strictly legal? Nope.

You may be already aware of all this, and if so, I apologize for mentioning it. Some people take offense at regulations being pointed out, and that is not my intent. I don't know how you purchased that machine, nor do I know its current status. I am merely pointing out these items in case you do not know.

Jon, I am aware of all of this, and no offense taken. I appreciate the advice, just the same. I forgot that I blurred the N number. I did that before I had ownership. I didn't want to get sniped, so to speak.

I have the Airworthiness Certificate, the registration hard card, and the Operating Limitations. I also requested and received all of the additional documents from the FAA. All I am lacking is Weight & Balance. I'm going to contact the Registration Branch to get the registration current again.

And thanks to the rest of you for your replies too. They are all appreciated. The Mac doesn't run, YET. I've only tried it a couple times, and the right side cylinders would fire, but the left sides did not, or did not very well. BOY IS IT LOUD!!! Also, I haven't drained the gas and cleaned fuel system yet. It has been hangared in a real airport hangar and untouched for about 6 years. It has LL100 in the tank. I'm going to replace all of the fuel lines, clean the tank, carb, etc and then give it another shot. I'm going to try to get to it today, but cutomers' projects are piling up too. I also repair powered parachutes and Rotax 582's on the side and another barn find was dropped off to me this morning.

The Dragon Wings look pristine to me, an in experienced gyro owner. There is no separation on the trailing edges, no bug dings, no dings, dents, or scratches of any sort. No corrosion, they look brand new to me. They were mounted to the hub bar when I took possession of it. There was one shim on each blade where it attaches to the hub bar. Is that normal and acceptable to create a press fit?

And there was no logbook. The gentleman that owned it passed away because of cancer and his daughters have no interest in aviation of any sort. He was a CW4 in the Ky Natioanal Guard, retired from the Guard and then flew medical helicopters after that. The gyro was his hobby and he is listed as the builder. I asked his daughters to keep an eye out for a logbook. He was a professional pilot, so I know that there must be one somewhere. Of course I told them that they would probably discover his pilot logbook and that I did not want it and that it would be a treasure for them when they do find it.

It's a nice day outside. I'll roll it out and get some good high res pics and post again later.

Thank you all.
Gil

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Gil, Where are you located? There may be some knowledgeable gyro folks in your area that may be able to give you some insight.
The only problem with the mac, other than being a mac, is that parts are getting really rare, and expensive. Rick Whitridge in Ohio used to sell electronic CDI ignitions for the mac but I am not sure if he still does or not. If you could find an old set of the Hulan Burnett expansion chambers that would be a good investment, but they are scarce.

I would also consider a larger horiz stab, mounted farther back, the one on there now is a rock guard
and really does not do much for pitch stability.

There should be a set of B-8 drawings here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:49 pm

I'm in Richmond, KY. I'll update my profile. I know of two gyro pilots around here. One of them came to me last year for a Powered Parachute Proficiency Checkride. He holds a gyro CFI rating but he doesn't have a machine to train in. I'm thinking of buying a 2 place machine and get the training in it and then later add gyroplane to my CFI certificate.

The other gentleman that I know of, I met only once. He is a nice guy and I have his phone number. He has 2 gyros, one is a Hornet that he built himself. I'm not sure what the other is. One is 503 the other 582.

I'll get each of them to check it out, thanks for the advice.

Gil

Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]