It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Rare home built- Hillman Hornet, built around 1978, N8063D 

Curious question....

What would it take to dis-assemble that building and take it with you?

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 pm
GyroGeorgia wrote:
Curious question....

What would it take to dis-assemble that building and take it with you?
a lot of work.

Cindi has another Building like this one on order, but I have a feeling with all the unexpected fees and expenses adding up, not to mention clearing the area to put up a building. it going to be awhile before we get it up.

plus the Building I have now is really concreted to the foundation. J bolts to a channel kit in concrete with more concrete poured along the sides. these Buildings are designed for 140 m.p.h. winds.

in the mean time, there is not really any place I can work on it. what sucks is the house and a garage and the last owners converted it to another room.

Oh well we will figure out something, worse case may try and find a good size shipping container to put it in until we get the new shop built. or I may just have to leave it here in n.c. for awhile.

would just be nice to have it when we move so I could still work on it some.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:51 pm

I kinda figured it was anchored some way... the nice ones usually are... :(

I like the design, have walked through those before. Seems like it would stand a LOT of wind.

THX for the reply.

Owner/builder of

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:12 pm
Well I spent most of the day reinforcing the roll around body stand for the Hillman Hornet so with any luck it will make the trip to Florida in one piece.
I used Aluminum Angle to brace the sides so it would not rock from side to side and made some braces to steady the threaded rod that holds the stand with foam on it to rise the weight of the body off the bottom. I also put a few braces to the side mounting points on the Body and put and eye bolt on the hang the seat from. floor board and console are just laying inside. now hope to be able to get it all into a moving van or what ever we use to move with.

Now my biggest issue is figuring out where I can store it until I get my new shop built in Florida. sure wish they had left that other room a garage... :(

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Good job of bracing.

On the subject of the garage that is now a room... perhaps it could gain a double door? Seems a 'french door' style of double door (with or without glass doors) might be just enough space to get things in and out of.

I have the same issue at my home... The previous owner made the garage into a basement... single door. Thankfully it is a 36" door... but still a single door. My Dominator will not go in, width or height. Has to stay at the hanger... which is a 3 hour round trip.

Owner/builder of

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:23 am
Well I talked to my A&P that is rebuilding my Engine and getting the mounts made to fit the frame.

No progress, he has gotten tied up doing annuals for people. hopes to get to mine in Oct. guess we will see.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:19 pm

Tim (Animal) ... I think you would be a lot better off asking the world to send you all the leftover information and parts for the helicopter you want to preserve

Tell them that is where your heart is and you would be amazed how many people would appreciate it

I am talking about grandchildren who want to clean out Grandpas library or garage and do not want to send everything to the dump

Make them want to send it to you instead .... because you love the helicopter and the legacy

Hope that makes sense Tim , best wishes in everything you strive to do

When people think you are an historian they will send you all kinds of stuff

I have always seen you as a historian of kids who thought they could build a helicopter in their garage

Yes you are Tim ... and so are most of us

And that is what people like most about you sir !!!!

Good luck with everything

Arnie M.

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3