It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Rare home built- Hillman Hornet, built around 1978, N8063D 

Here is the early prototype ... Tims helicopter is parked on display around the 2:50 mark

Kelly Hillman left this youtube comment .... 1 year ago
Quote:
Both the Hillman Hornet and the Hillman 360 were developed by Doug Hillman. Rudy Enstrom and Doug worked together to perfect the design of the helicopter. The video of the Hornet was taken in 1977 while we flew to the top of Fire Rock located in east Mesa, AZ. I'm in the Hornet with one of our pilots and my father, Doug, is flying along side of us with the camera man. Kelly Hillman

Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:33 am
Arnie M. wrote:

Hey Tim .... I deleted some of my earlier Players cigarette pictures so as not to clutter your thread up too much ....

In case you dont have this link on file check it out .... it has a picture of the gauges and a bit of the seat too

http://www.aerospacefacts.com/plane/air ... ane_id=137
Cool I checked it out, I have that pic already, but I saved the link for reference.
anything anyone finds is helpful.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 am
Arnie M. wrote:
Here is the early prototype ... Tims helicopter is parked on display around the 2:50 mark

Kelly Hillman left this youtube comment .... 1 year ago
Quote:
Both the Hillman Hornet and the Hillman 360 were developed by Doug Hillman. Rudy Enstrom and Doug worked together to perfect the design of the helicopter. The video of the Hornet was taken in 1977 while we flew to the top of Fire Rock located in east Mesa, AZ. I'm in the Hornet with one of our pilots and my father, Doug, is flying along side of us with the camera man. Kelly Hillman

yeah I have tried to contact them but no replys.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:05 am
elwood wrote:
Tim, Get a haircut and clean up that shop! :) Just in case you miss the other forum. :)

I think I went to extremes on the haircut..lol Clean the shop.. thats a lost cause right now.. got almost everything from the house shoved in it until we get moved.

but no yesterday when grinding that old fiberglass off, my mask was not staying tight, was inhaling a lot of dust, so decided to cut the beard off, then well I just went crazy with the shaver, I swear it had a mind of it's own.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:55 pm
Site Admin

I don't see no haircut there.....Say Tim have you been working out?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:43 pm
Gabor wrote:
gabor you have way to much time on your hands, Cindi busted a gut when she saw that pic, I had to share it on facebook..lmao

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:56 pm
:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

oh the humanities!!!!!!

Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:16 pm

Animal wrote:
Gabor wrote:
gabor you have way to much time on your hands, Cindi busted a gut when she saw that pic, I had to share it on facebook..lmao

I see your photo shop skills are improving gab! :laughing

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Animal wrote:
elwood wrote:
Tim, Get a haircut and clean up that shop! :) Just in case you miss the other forum. :)

I think I went to extremes on the haircut..lol Clean the shop.. thats a lost cause right now.. got almost everything from the house shoved in it until we get moved.

but no yesterday when grinding that old fiberglass off, my mask was not staying tight, was inhaling a lot of dust, so decided to cut the beard off, then well I just went crazy with the shaver, I swear it had a mind of it's own.

In that picture, you look similar to the guy that played the Admiral on 'Jag'... the TV series about Jag lawyers in the military.

Then Gabor comes along and changes your M O to a fairy... LOL

I am glad Gabs does not have any pictures of me... no telling what he would do... :eek

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:23 am

That is funny!
I love the purple toupee!

I helped a guy clean out his garage with a snow plow once, It sure moved everything out to the driveway in a hurry!!!

I have been cleaning out the hangar, we have been remodeling and collecting junk for years, now it is time for all the crap to GO. I have cleaned it before, removing truckloads!! Why is it that when you have more space, you just fill it up? :realcrazy

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:52 am
Wow, man my buddy marty sumner, sure came thru on the seats.

I am going to have to step up my game to make the rest of the helicopter live up to the standard Marty did on the seats.

I think he got it pretty close.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 pm
Site Admin

That looks superb!!!!!!!!!

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:23 pm
Finely a nice day to work on the Hornet some, I made the first side panel today, it's not perfect, but it will do.

I think I will add some fasteners to make it fit tighter.

it had cam-locs in it, will have to find some of those.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Wow those seats look great!
Aircraft spruce sells the camlocks, or "Dzus" fasteners is what they are called.
Where did you get the fiberglass sheet?

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:52 am
elwood wrote:
Wow those seats look great!
Aircraft spruce sells the camlocks, or "Dzus" fasteners is what they are called.
Where did you get the fiberglass sheet?

well probably not the lightest,but was cheap and easy to find, it's the fiber glass sheet stuff you line shower walls with from lowe's .

sorry I have not posted much, the place we are at now has sucky internet service. had to get dish network. can't even upload you tube videos anymore.
but I guess it's the price you pay to live in paradise.

View from our back yard, yep thats the runway,and a view looking towards our place we are renting from the area at the end of the runway. great place to fly a helicopter from.

look at that sunset across the River in the front yard.

Sat May 31, 2014 6:38 pm
Well, now that I am back in NC for a bit ,I am going to try and do a little more to the Hornets Body. at least my A&P came an got the main blades. who knows we may just get this thing back together yet.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:41 pm
Well being that when we move soon,I won't have my shop for awhile,I got motivated to work on the Hornets Body some more to get it ready to paint.
Now this would not be half as bad if the Hornet had all the body parts still.

So yesterday and today I made the second side panel. this one fits a lot nicer then the first panel as I was able to take more time to make it fit.

As some may know we came back to N.C. to regroup. Happy to say we found a house and if all goes well we will be moving back to Florida in mid August.

Nope it's not in Okeechobee, but it is a nice house on 2.5 acres of property zoned AG.
So maybe will be good to fly from there later. worse case we will be 7 miles from an Airport.

So who knows we may just get to hang out with the Sun state members yet... :)

Here are pics of the new side panel.

I don't think they look to bad for a guy on a tight budget.

Last edited by Animal on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:43 pm
Site Admin

Cool! Little by little. As long as you are going at it the thing will get done! And that's all that matters :wol2 :wol2 :wol2

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:00 pm
Gabor wrote:
Cool! Little by little. As long as you are going at it the thing will get done! And that's all that matters :wol2 :wol2 :wol2

yeah that is what i have learned, you have to sometimes force your self to do something to it each day,even if it is no more then look at it and figure out the next step to take.

hey Gabor can you rotate those pics for me, they came out side ways.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:43 pm
Well time is getting near that we will make a permanent move to Florida, now that said, it will be awhile before I have a good shop again probably, so I figured I better try and get as much done to the Hornets Body as i can before we move.

Saturday I went and bought a 100 stainless steel machine screws and lock nuts and started attaching the side panels better. they are not perfect but should do the job. maybe later i can make something better.
Good part is it made the Body less flexable so hopefully it will survive a trip to Florida.
When not bolted to the frame this thing is like a flexing egg shell.

anyway here are pics of what I got done today.

yep not easy to work on it with all that stuff in the shop and it all has to find it's way to Florida some how...lol

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next