It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 where to land? input wanted. our new home. 
Site Admin

That looks great Tim.... what's with the pond? Do you like feeding mosquitos? :noidea :laughing :laughing

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:16 am
MadMuz wrote:
That looks great Tim.... what's with the pond? Do you like feeding mosquitos? :noidea :laughing :laughing

Cindi wants a small pond, I think the hole would make a great in ground target range.. :) it took that much dirt to level the area for the shop. but it is smooth and level now. next mission, get the shipping containers.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:57 am
Site Admin

I went thru the pond thing, had so many mozzies, put fish in the pond, the birds ate them, more mosquitos.... put in more fish and mesh over the pond to keep birds out..... it looked ugly so I removed the mesh.... the birds ate the fish again, the mozzies ate me, so I filled it in :fuckum :noidea :laughing :laughing

I have a dam on the property, it keeps me with enough mosquitos, snakes and wildlife :like :pop :laughing

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 am
well next week I should be getting the start to my new shop. going with 2 - 40' x 9' shipping containers, going to space them 12 feet apart and later make a roof across the 2 to put the Helicopter under.

At least once they get here I can go ahead and get my stuff moved into them and sorted so I can at least find stuff now when I need something.

I am going to use the roof matrial from the old car port to make the back and some of the front wall with.

should be interesting to see how it turns out.

far cry from the Building I thought I would be getting. but after getting new windows and insulation for the house and a few other items. it cut hard into our shop fund.

But I think when done, it will be stronger then the arch building would have been.
I think we got a hell of a good deal on the Container, and they are even cargo worthy right now.

will keep everyone posted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:22 pm

Just thinking out loud here Tim...

Would it be possible to go to NC and bring the Quonset hut back, and use it for the roof between the two containers?

I like the 'barn' look, I think you will like the space.
If it were me, I would build a LONG work bench down the far wall of one of the boxes first...and arrange my tools so I have the shop working again. Of course you are gonna need electricity out there, and maybe that water pipe you cut can be rigged for running water (laundry sink to wash your hands and parts).

Building one's shop is always lots of fun!

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:38 pm
GyroGeorgia wrote:

Would it be possible to go to NC and bring the Quonset hut back, and use it for the roof between the two containers?

If it were me, I would build a LONG work bench down the far wall of one of the boxes first...and arrange my tools so I have the shop working again. Of course you are gonna need electricity out there, and maybe that water pipe you cut can be rigged for running water (laundry sink to wash your hands and parts).

to much trouble and expence to go get the other shop, not to mention I am renting it to a guy to build his airplane in right now.

Plan will be to use the metal from the sides of the Containers to make the roof over the Center area, then get some other roof panels to do the sides, maybe even some lexan to let some light in. there is a water line already run out to the Building towards the woods, going to route it to the new shop. and the well pump between the shop and landing pad has 220 running to it, so will probably tap off that line or just to get going, the little white building has 110 run to it i can tap off of. may have to put in heavyer breakers. but I will find out about that as I get started on it.

Will keep everyone posted as I go along with it.

Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Animal wrote:
GyroGeorgia wrote:

to much trouble and expence to go get the other shop, not to mention I am renting it to a guy to build his airplane in right now.

Plan will be to use the metal from the sides of the Containers to make the roof over the Center area, then get some other roof panels to do the sides, maybe even some lexan to let some light in. there is a water line already run out to the Building towards the woods, going to route it to the new shop. and the well pump between the shop and landing pad has 220 running to it, so will probably tap off that line or just to get going, the little white building has 110 run to it i can tap off of. may have to put in heavyer breakers. but I will find out about that as I get started on it.

Are you going to have to have permits for those?
Around here the only way we can get out of having to get one is put the structure on skids.

I would like to get 8 x 10 one to bury in the side of hill behind the house for a storm shelter.
They are as much as a 40" one!!!!!

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:00 pm
RayNAiken wrote:
Animal wrote:
GyroGeorgia wrote:

Are you going to have to have permits for those?
Around here the only way we can get out of having to get one is put the structure on skids.

I would like to get 8 x 10 one to bury in the side of hill behind the house for a storm shelter.
They are as much as a 40" one!!!!!
from what I have been told, with the property here zone AG, we won't need a permit as it's not a permanat structior. it's not going to be on concrete and the roof between the 2 will be made to be removable.
worse case around here they have what is called an after the fact permit. basicly it's all about money. been told it is easyer to just pay the $100.00 after the fact permit then it is to go thru all the other stuff. but from what we have been told, we won't need a permit for the shipping containers. I just hope it sits farly level on this sandy soil around here. guess we will find out pretty soon. been told each container is 8000 pounds empty. so once they are dropped off I don't think I will be moving them to easyily.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:31 am
Well, the U.S. Buildings Company would not let Cindi out of the sales contract with out paying 50% of the total building cost, here reply was fuck you I am not paying 50% and receive nothing. so that Said we paid for the whole Building and it has now been Delivered.

To bad that with all the other house expenses and what the county requires, we just can't afford to put it up. sure if we where made of money and jumped through all the county hoops we could put it up. But honestly it's not worth all the hassle to put up a building this size here. car port company can do the whole job, pull all the permits if needed. and have it up in a short time. plus it will now be closer to the house, and since I like to work in my shop at Night and knowing Yoga is still roaming around at night, the closer to the house the better I feel..

Plus looking out the door of the shop will be 75 feet to the landing pad. with as soft as the sand is in the back, I am thinking moving a helicopter would be a pain way in the back where the other shop was going to be. the ground around here, sure is Different then n.c.
as least now.

anyway here are some pics of the Building from U.S. Buildings, man it was a bitch to unload off the truck. no fork lift, unloaded it by hand onto my trailer, then unloaded it back onto the pallet again. ours is the pallet on the back end of the truck.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:56 pm
Site Admin

How did you end up with that shed Tim? What has happened to the containers? Why cant you use that shed? How big is it? If you own it, why cant you just put it up? :noidea :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:35 pm
MadMuz wrote:
How did you end up with that shed Tim? What has happened to the containers? Why cant you use that shed? How big is it? If you own it, why cant you just put it up? :noidea :pop :wol2 :Wolvie
Ok muz, the issue is several ,1 we had bought the building 40' x 25' x 14' when we lived in N.C. had bought it with out end walls as i was going to make my own, here is the kicker, since we live in Hurricane country, the county will not allow me to make my own end walls ( 3 grand each ) plus they want 2 sets of stamped engineered drawings. U.S. Buildings wants $400.00 a set for those. so there is an extra $6,800 not to mention about another Grand for the shop door, and then about another 4 grand for concrete. not including all the shit to get the permits to put it up.

Honestly we just don't have the money to do it the way the county wants it done.

the people from the Concrete company that was recommended by the car port company came to day to get the estimate for the concrete for the carport. and they said they can even take care of all the permits, the carport is wind rated for 150 m.p.h. winds and we can break it down in assembly’s to spread out the payments. not to mention where we will have it now is on solid packed ground. the people confirmed today, that the concrete company they deal with, has older trucks that would more then likely get stuck if we still wanted to do the shop out where we had it graded for the Shipping containers.

did you forget about the Container truck getting stuck in the yard? the carport will be be 18 wide by 30 long 13 tall, this will give me room for the Hillman Hornet when ever we get it back. and still have some room left for my tools and room to work. where the airboat is sitting now is where the shop will be. in the pic you can see some markers, thats where the carport/shop will be.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:52 pm
Site Admin

I remember about the container truck being stuck, but I don't follow how you have this shed being forced on you? It seems like a good shed? great size.... somehow you have it there and you own it... why not use it? We all know that when you want to put up a shed or building you have to deal with the county (or here, the council) but we all also know, when arranging the paperwork, you have to drop your pants and bend over.... and ask them to wipe your butt when they have all finished.... :killme but that is what you do to get the permit/paperwork.... unfortunately. :head

What about the after the fact permit? You cant put the shed up, then plead insanity.... say you didn't realise you needed the permit.... and then drop your plants and bend over?

What is happening with the containers then? Have you got them yet or cancelled them? :noidea I'm confused :realcrazy :laughing :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8