It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Victoria Fatality 

Hi Aussie gyro guys...Anyone have any details about the fatality in Victoria the other day? Looks like a side by side two seater? Any details known yet? Bloody awful to loose anyone.

Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:58 am
Site Admin

hadn't heard about that one Cameron? :eek :badluck

Here's a news story...

Condolences to the pilot's family and friends left behind... :violin :wol2 :Wolvie

:Jim

:OZ

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:06 am

How awful! My condolences to family and mates Down Under.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-05/ ... /103066572

One of its rotor blades delaminated (similar to RAF crashes I've seen). The mast broke off, apparently on impact (vs. in the air). My impression is that the rotor had a rather low RPM during impact, but I could be wrong. This seems a very hard pancake vs. a fall from a great height, especially since the passenger survived and is in stable condition.

btw, if you don't have life flight private insurance, you could be on the hook for a $$,$$$ air ambulance bill. Shop around for companies in your area; the small annual premium is well worth it should you need a $40,000 helo flight to a trauma center 50 miles away.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Kolibri on Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:25 pm

Kolibri wrote:
How awful! My condolences to family and mates Down Under.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-05/ ... /103066572

The tail number seems to be G0507, data associated with ASRA1360. Gyro type is unspecified.

One of its rotor blades delaminated (similar to RAF crashes I've seen). The mast broke off, apparently on impact (vs. in the air). My impression is that the rotor had a rather low RPM during impact, but I could be wrong. This seems a very hard pancake vs. a fall from a great height, especially since the passenger survived and is in stable condition.

btw, if you don't have life flight private insurance, you could be on the hook for a $$,$$$ air ambulance bill. Shop around for companies in your area; the small annual premium is well worth it should you need a $40,000 helo flight to a trauma center 50 miles away.

Are those the same gyro? The crash was a two seater. Delamination is common enough after impact. I try to look for the shape of the blades after impact if they are unloaded you usually won't get much backward movement on blade impact because they have already stopped mid-flight. They will also often have a banana shape from being inverted and having the frame fly through them, tail and prop marks on the rotors too. Tail seems intact here so suspect not a bunt over PPO, neg g situation so far as I can tell. The survival of the passenger also suggests it wasn't unloaded. I know speculation can seem tactless, but I feel we need to discuss these issues to work out how not to end up in the same boat.

Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:43 am
Site Admin

That is a different machine. It was parked on the ground while the emergency workers were working on the wreck. As you say, the crashed machine was a 2 seat... that is a single. :wol2 :Wolvie

:Jim

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:10 am

MadMuz wrote:
That is a different machine. It was parked on the ground while the emergency workers were working on the wreck. As you say, the crashed machine was a 2 seat... that is a single.

Y'all are correct, now that I look at it more carefully. I'll remove the single-seat photo and reference; my apologies for getting that wrong.

Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:24 pm

btw, if you don't have life flight private insurance, you could be on the hook for a $$,$$$ air ambulance bill. Shop around for companies in your area; the small annual premium is well worth it should you need a $40,000 helo flight to a trauma center 50 miles away.[/color][/quote]

Not in the greatest country on this rock. No bill's for an accident victim.
Old topic I know, but just thought that needed clarification.

Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]