It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 EAA accident 

https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/osh ... st-1211670

Sucks.

Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:54 pm

My buddy Dave B. Was going to fly there for his first time.
I warned him that he needed to be very careful as this happens there somewhat frequently.
He did not go after all for other reasons...

Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:30 am

1995 I was paid to go - I would never fly there ever again. A mad house.

Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:32 pm
Site Admin

Video on the crashes at Oshcosh (and nearby) :badluck :violin :wol2 :Wolvie

Condolences to all those affected

:Jim

:Flag

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:23 am

MadMuz wrote:
Video on the crashes at Oshcosh (and nearby) :badluck :violin :wol2 :Wolvie

Condolences to all those affected

:Flag

Yeah I heard the gyro pilot did a 360 turn in the pattern and then collided with the exec. Bloody awful for all involved. don't want to judge until I know what the traffic was doing ahead of him the gps track shows he did a 360 though, why that's another matter seems an odd thing to do in pattern. Apparently the gyro guys survived the pilot is badly injured but the passanger was able to talk to police in hospital. Likely landing on the Bonanza may have saved their lives (not nice for the Bonanza pilot I imagine). The exec caught fire, truly horrible.

One of the things it reminds me of is the couple of near misses just because we are so hard to see - especially they open type I prefer to fly. I remember a mate who owned a Corby Starlet took off after me and zoomed past at about 80ft off my right. I waved and commented after we'd both landed "saw you zoom me" or something like that. He had zero idea I was there. Another time flying with another gyro mate we'd arranged to form up at a certain point, he took off ahead of me and I formed up on his right he then started a turn towards me (didn't do a look first). I was worried about loosing him so I backed off power and slowed a bit but he ended up right over my rotors about 10-15ft above. We are knats up there. Bloodly near impossible to see. So I don't like crowed airspace as a result and take full responsibility to keep an eye out for them because I don't trust they will see me. I've seem some effective strobes the most effective was one that rotated was very bright but I imagine not much good if too much above or below. I'd love to visit the airshow but I think flying there would be terrifying. Too many opportunities for this.

Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:41 am

Flying a Bell 206 along Seal Beach near Meadow Lark airport , Just as I talked about the air port to our left I saw a movement
It was a Cessna 182 white over brown with a single pilot 20 to 25 feet below us. I looked as he looked up at us as I looked at him through the chin bubble, He had his Raybans on with a blue shirt.
Clutter on the ground doesn't help.

The second close call was at Corona in a TH 55 that Rob Nagg had, he wanted to see if it was handling right. We were in over the runway at 500 ft avoiding the pattern for fixed wingers when a Pipper was called out by another pilot.
The Pipper missed our tail rotor by a foot when passing Wing tip to our tail.

We followed him in the pattern and up the taxi way, When he parked we asked him if he saw us. "Piss off" was his response'
Later in front of Bobs cafe He drove up and asked "You want a bullet to your chest?" I told him "Try it and you'll never pull out that 38" Fool had a SW 38 and a news paper besides him. My evil twin had a 9mm pointed at his head , Never seen a cracker as white as that fool. He was never seen again and his plane either.

Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:50 pm

Hillberg wrote:
Flying a Bell 206 along Seal Beach near Meadow Lark airport , Just as I talked about the air port to our left I saw a movement
It was a Cessna 182 white over brown with a single pilot 20 to 25 feet below us. I looked as he looked up at us as I looked at him through the chin bubble, He had his Raybans on with a blue shirt.
Clutter on the ground doesn't help.

The second close call was at Corona in a TH 55 that Rob Nagg had, he wanted to see if it was handling right. We were in over the runway at 500 ft avoiding the pattern for fixed wingers when a Pipper was called out by another pilot.
The Pipper missed our tail rotor by a foot when passing Wing tip to our tail.

We followed him in the pattern and up the taxi way, When he parked we asked him if he saw us. "Piss off" was his response'
Later in front of Bobs cafe He drove up and asked "You want a bullet to your chest?" I told him "Try it and you'll never pull out that 38" Fool had a SW 38 and a news paper besides him. My evil twin had a 9mm pointed at his head , Never seen a cracker as white as that fool. He was never seen again and his plane either.

Wow that's wild. What a bell end! Its one thing to have a near miss its a completely other thing to be a idiot about it. You (that is he - from his point of view not you) should be hugely apologetic - you after all almost killed someone, Its a big sky but airports we can get very packed in there. I don't think I'd ever want to fly at Oshkosh. I've watched a couple of videos of people coming in and the traffic calls and confusion is incredibly intense. They all managed but you could see like 3 or 4 times where it could have all gone wrong. I like a nice low traffic grass strip with just a few mates around preferably.

Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:59 pm
Site Admin

We lost a gyro here :badluck :wol2 :Wolvie

In the Hunter valley, about 10 hours south of here. A lesson gone wrong... hit a tree, so someone wan't high enough for some reason?

Condolences to all affected

:OZ

Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:16 am

Found in minutes and it's pitch black outside?

Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:05 pm

https://youtu.be/3GA2h0hm3BI

Here is a video showing the Osh crash,
Looks like the ELA did a 360 for spacing and had the helicopter in his blind spot underneath.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:39 pm

Eric was a dumbshit or had a brain fart , Was the other in his machine flying or him...
Non standard procedures cause crappy results

Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:06 pm
Site Admin

Footage of the crash... :badluck :loser :yoda :Wolvie

Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:57 am

FULL Video ....from gyro warming up to fly circuit! Chest GoPro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GA2h0hm3BI

Dan Gryder ...has sided with the emotional Helo-guys and ...SAVAGING the gyros in a poorly informed RAGE! ( My appreciation of his "Probable Cause" YT Chanel HAS PLUMMETED!)

Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:17 pm

Dropbear wrote:
FULL Video ....from gyro warming up to fly circuit! Chest GoPro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GA2h0hm3BI

Dan Gryder ...has sided with the emotional Helo-guys and ...SAVAGING the gyros in a poorly informed RAGE! ( My appreciation of his "Probable Cause" YT Chanel HAS PLUMMETED!)

Don't worry Danny just lost a million $ law suite on a Piper Cub crash...

Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:10 pm
Site Admin

Hillberg wrote:

No he didn't... more to the story :laughing :yoda2 :Wolvie

:kissmyass

Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:12 am

Dan is no stranger to the courts ..he usually gets out from under the "good-ole-boy" club conspiracy to nail him!

Last night was good episode!

I'm still annoyed with his previous 2 ...poorly informed ...biased reporting offering on the OSHKOSH mid-air!

:fickyou

Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:37 am

MadMuz wrote:
Hillberg wrote:

No he didn't... more to the story :laughing :yoda2 :Wolvie

:kissmyass

Yea saw it too. Seems Dan got them good. Dan seems to bring out the strange in people. I like him, :ultragay
His approach AQP training is sorely needed in GA :pbunny

Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:26 pm

Without rehashing too much crapola, I see that Drop Bear is not on the side of the emotional helo guys, and the way that reads is that you think the gyro was not at fault or as much fault as this dan gryder guy (never heard of him and not watching 1.5 hours of a dude talking to a screen) seems to think.

But from the video and Hillys comment about non-standard maneuvers....why would you pull a tight 360 in a pattern like that for spacing and not go down wind and try to fit back in with towers help? Looks to me like the gyro was totally at fault.

I once won the "blue collar lottery" but never cashed in on it. Wife thought it was bad Karma to profit off the good lord giving me the gift of luck. Shes rarely wrong.
I was in a safe area, wearing my PPE working on a trash pump when a new pilot who just checked on that morning and WAS NOT at the pilot briefing hit me from behind with a 2200 lb super sac of dirt while long lining. He missed his queue and instead of going around all the way again (3 copters) he decided to do a quick U turn with no altitude change.
I never saw it coming. woke up 15 feet away in a marsh with a mild concussion. Now most folks would think I could have owned Redding Air after that, but well....I was okay. I have spoken to Paul the pilot who hit me a time or two and let him know I was okay. he felt horrible. Told him I was a pilot too, so I understood what that must have felt like.

Anyways, looks to me like Gyro is at fault

Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:33 am
Site Admin

Has the gyro pilot said anything yet? :noidea

I hate to say it, but in my pinion it was his accident 100%... :badluck

Part of the reason GA and commercial pilots hate gyros is for just this reason... unpredictability

The reason for the pattern is so everyone in the pattern is doing the same thing... when someone goes 'cowboy' and does something unexpected... sh!t can happen :realcrazy :drama :yoda2 :Wolvie

Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:10 am

No one saw each other
Erics view would be clear sky - Why?
He'd be looking where he's going in the turn forward and right & left But not under his belly,,,Where the helicopter was.
Mark flying straight is looking forward left and right, The gyro turns left not an issue yet.
The door post and window frame masks the gyro until impact and the Rotorway as you sit in it covers most of your side view unless you slump forward over the stick to look to the sides with shoulder belts = good luck with that.
A non standard 360 in a standard pattern that was laid out in the morning briefing , Shit happens :pbunny

Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next