It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 does anyone knows Cameron L.... ? 

Welcome aboard shipmate!

Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:00 pm

Indeed it is I ;)

Girodreamer and I have managed to catch up since the first comment and suggested this thread. Mad Muz we're in the same state have we met? Seems like we might have traveled in the same circles. I found a couple of the comments above I might throw an opinion in glad to be a member. Please forgive me if I don't know how to use the forum well for a bit.

hi all.

Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:22 am

Girodreamer wrote:
hi hillberg,
in fact I was wondering if a heavier rotor was ot more difficult to bring at flight rpm then his wooden rotor ?
you right it is not a question of material
cheers
G

Hi Hilberg. Just to give you some background the guy flying Steve was a mate of mine. He's sadly passed he had health issues and they caught up with him but he was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. Terry my instructor and three guys started the club I learned to fly in. Terry got his old club gyroglider going as these boys had brought the first two seater (an aircommand) in Australia (disputed but I think correct). Steve here is flying 22ft metal blades. Terry made a jig to build 4 identical copies of these machines and the boys would get together and have a production line going 4 joysticks, 4 undercarriages etc. So these machines were identical running 503 rotax's except in one respect Terry they all choose different rotors. Terry tried to get Gerry Goodwin (Australian blade builder) to make 19 ft rotors but he thought they'd be too small, they haggled and eventually terry got 20ft rotors for his. Steve had 22ft and another Terry (there were a few Terry's in the club back then) got 23ft rotors. Jack I think had 22ft also. Terry's 20ft rotors spun up faster (even than this) climbed out was as good and it flew faster. The shorter rotors come up very, very quickly. They may possible produce less lift potentially but its not obvious I think there is probably an ideal size for any given HP than is you need to drive that additional disk through the air to get more lift out of them if you only have 54 hp this might be limited so that greater than 20ft might be pointless.

Mass as you suggest does play a part. I built wood rotors and also have metal rotors. The wood have external chord weights (25 ounces) and they do take a little longer to get up to speed but they hang and hang and hang when loaded up. Terry once did a demo for some guys who'd be criticizing his choice of wood rotors he pushed the nose over with then engine off flared, hovered for a second then applied power again and climbed out. Not something you could have done with metal blades of that era. Possibly some that now have significant tip weights.

Anyway Steve used to do this all the time in all conditions. The key is keeping the angle of attack of the retreating blade as low as possible if you increase power too soon then the advancing side teeters up and thus increases the retreating blade A of A this not only risk stalling it and hinging (flapping). But also slows the acceleration of the blades. So the key here was the slow taxi until the rotors come up - this has the added advantage of not sucking up airstrip. On this video Steve takes much longer to get off than say a Calidus, but he's off in much less ground. He was balancing on the mains but the nosewheel was only an inch or so off the ground. Cheers

Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:28 am

Hillberg wrote:
Blade profile is what's important not the material of construction

Map out the airfoil shape for performance :pbunny

Hi you are right material doesn't matter in the amount of lift but wood blades are usually set to zero angle of incidence or up to 1/2 a degree most metal blades are set to 1 or 2 degrees. This is because wood being more flexible is easier to get into hinging (blade flap) if set too high. This also makes wood rotors easier to hand wind and easier to wind up in general but the extra mass at the tip does take longer to accelerate and much much longer to loose energy.

So while the material itself doesn't matter the angle they are set to does. There is not much in it though on wind up. The prop wash does help you can't get them spinning fast in propwash but they do sustain whatever speed you put into them. As you gradually accelerate though and they start producing lift they do slow you down and your power goes up I think this probably helps speed them up too.

Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:34 am

Henry Bowman wrote:
Sorry Giro, been busy, and the thread title didn't lend itself to checking.

I don't mind balancing on the mains, but I don't do it much anymore.

I doubt you are asking about hand patting procedures, but are more interested in normal takeoffs.
After I am in flight mode, I taxi to a run up area, disengage rotor brake and give the blades a small spin up...Not flight speed! This lets me know theres no strange vibes or bangs and bumps coming. Do engine/control checks. Reengage brake. Make sure at an airport you algin blades fore and aft!!!! If tower tells you to hold short for traffic and they turn at your taxiway, tower will not see your blades.
Once I have the active, I always remind tower it will take a min to spin up...
Go to the intersection (widest part) and turn into wind (almost always 10-15kts from my 2 oclock position) flatten rotor disk with stick full forward. Increase throttle a bit, and engage slowly but smoothly the pre rotator. When blades are spinning as a blur or about 200-220 rpms I smoothly start to bring back the stick. If you have an rpm gauge you will watch the rpms decay immidiately, release brake pressure and begin roll no faster then a man walks and as soon as you see the rom decay reverse and start to build you can go a tiny bit faster, or add more disk back.
Keep doing this until your nose wheel gets light. As soon as the nose wheel is up increase throttle and speed togther. You do not need fast forward motion if the rotors are moving fast.
I like to hop off ground and let rig weathervane 5 feet off ground. Flatten disk and pick up speed in "ground effect" until I am at full speed then climb out.
This is from an airport with a massive runway complex.

Hi Henry, That procedure seems the best of all worlds. I'd add that if the blades don't seem to be accelerating if you lift the stick just off full back it will tell you if they are starting the hinge(flap) you only feel blade flap (hinging) when the blades are colliding so badly they are bending the mast on each strike of the teeter stop. By this point you are often only a second or two from smacking them into the ground. In open frame gyro I used to feel the breeze on my face (about 8-10mph) was enough initially. Then once they really started to pick up up to 12mph then after they picked up again they were pretty much beyond hinging. Sounds like you have excellent blade management.

Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:56 am

Why thank you, that may be the nicest compliment I have had in a long while!
Perhaps a new way to greet gyro guys?
"You sir, have great blade management!"
"Ahhh yes, why thank you my good man!"
Sou ds positively gentile!

Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:11 am

Benry, Cameron,

I completely agree with you .. but I have two problem with your method :

- the first is that I have never been trained to "feel" the rotor reaction as both of you obviously have

- the second is that my blades weight 16 kilos each , and my rotor is 7.7 m in diameter (nothing to see with a superb wooden rotor like yours)

this is why need to work my rotor management .. before attempting to take off in your manners folks .... lack of education

Cameron ... when your glider is ok, and you club back in activity .. I'll come and get training from you if you accept me ... I am not kidding

Cameron wrote:
Henry Bowman wrote:

I doubt you are asking about hand patting procedures, but are more interested in normal takeoffs.
After I am in flight mode, I taxi to a run up area, disengage rotor brake and give the blades a small spin up...Not flight speed! This lets me know theres no strange vibes or bangs and bumps coming. Do engine/control checks. Reengage brake. Make sure at an airport you algin blades fore and aft!!!! If tower tells you to hold short for traffic and they turn at your taxiway, tower will not see your blades.
Go to the intersection (widest part) and turn into wind (almost always 10-15kts from my 2 oclock position) flatten rotor disk with stick full forward. Increase throttle a bit, and engage slowly but smoothly the pre rotator. When blades are spinning as a blur or about 200-220 rpms I smoothly start to bring back the stick. If you have an rpm gauge you will watch the rpms decay immidiately, release brake pressure and begin roll no faster then a man walks and as soon as you see the rom decay reverse and start to build you can go a tiny bit faster, or add more disk back.
Keep doing this until your nose wheel gets light. As soon as the nose wheel is up increase throttle and speed togther. You do not need fast forward motion if the rotors are moving fast.
I like to hop off ground and let rig weathervane 5 feet off ground. Flatten disk and pick up speed in "ground effect" until I am at full speed then climb out.

Hi Henry, That procedure seems the best of all worlds. I'd add that if the blades don't seem to be accelerating if you lift the stick just off full back it will tell you if they are starting the hinge(flap) you only feel blade flap (hinging) when the blades are colliding so badly they are bending the mast on each strike of the teeter stop. By this point you are often only a second or two from smacking them into the ground. In open frame gyro I used to feel the breeze on my face (about 8-10mph) was enough initially. Then once they really started to pick up up to 12mph then after they picked up again they were pretty much beyond hinging. Sounds like you have excellent blade management.

Last edited by Girodreamer on Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:28 am

Cameron wrote:
Indeed it is I ;)

Girodreamer and I have managed to catch up since the first comment and suggested this thread. Mad Muz we're in the same state have we met? Seems like we might have traveled in the same circles. I found a couple of the comments above I might throw an opinion in glad to be a member. Please forgive me if I don't know how to use the forum well for a bit.

hi all.

I am happy that your are here with us, we are not numerous, we are not experts, but we have a lot of fun together, this forum has strictly no other goal then being a friendly space .

Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:30 am
Site Admin

Girodreamer wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Indeed it is I ;)

hi all.

I am happy that your are here with us, we are not numerous, we are not experts, but we have a lot of fun together, this forum has strictly no other goal then being a friendly space .

Indeed. Nice to have the knowledgeable ones though instead of having the "in my opinion" ones. :kissmyass
:beefcake

Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:33 am

and their opinion is rarely humble ... hahaha

Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:51 am

Well Cameron, about 2 or 3 months back I met Muz at a gunshop in Some seaside town I forgot the name of north of Brisbane.
Great guy, i am sure the two of you would get on quite well!

Do you still fly?

Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:12 pm
Site Admin

Cleavers gun shop Benry :shoot :wol2 :Wolvie

:Jim

:OZ

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:41 pm

Girodreamer wrote:
hi
I had told him that we were cool people !
A new kid on the block !
The forum is becoming an Australian gyroplane club hahaha
I hope he will show us Ozzies surfer babes !
welcome aboard
jean michel

:OZ :OZ :OZ :OZ

Sorry Girodreamer, I live too far inland I can show you some bogans though...;)

Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:53 am

Girodreamer wrote:
Benry, Cameron,

I completely agree with you .. but I have two problem with your method :

- the first is that I have never been trained to "feel" the rotor reaction as both of you obviously have

- the second is that my blades weight 16 kilos each , and my rotor is 7.7 m in diameter (nothing to see with a superb wooden rotor like yours)

this is why need to work my rotor management .. before attempting to take off in your manners folks .... lack of education

Cameron ... when your glider is ok, and you club back in activity .. I'll come and get training from you if you accept me ... I am not kidding

Yes probably wise. There was a suggestion above. When I've flown in gyros with bigger blades and pre-rotators the technique is similar you pre-spin up until they are fast but they don't need to be ridiculous. You then taxi forward slowly enough to feel a breeze on your face around 8-10 mph. The blades should start to accelerate, if they don't there could be two reasons one you don't have enough speed (be careful of that one) and two you have too much speed and your angle of attack is too high on the retreating side. If they are accelerating its all good keep doing this until they don't keep comming up faster then add another couple of mph say 12mph they blades should be accelerating faster now. At this point they will start to blur and your machine will start to resist forward motion on little throttle so you add more throttle the blades are likely over the hump not likely to flap (hinge) anymore unless you do ridiculous things at this point again add a little more now you are doing 15mph if they are a blur they aren't going to flap. From this speed my old VW would lift the nose and I ceased worrying about blade speed because I could gun it from here and they won't hinge. The inertia will have an impact I think both of my blades together are about 16kg I must weight them they might be heavier but they are significantly lighter than my metal blades. Anyway the time is all you need blade length is probably more an impediment than actual mass (although it will effect it). The good thing about this method is the fundamental principle you are trying to follow is keeping the angle of attack of the retreating blade as low as possible throughout. Pushing the blades with too much airspeed too soon increases angle of attack and drag which reduces autorotation and slows time/distance to wind up. So you are trying to add a little speed at a time only. If you look back at the first video thats what Steve was doing there was bugger all wind that day and they'd all do take offs like this every time. In strong winds they spin up even quicker. The key to that take off was the slow start and hence less runway being used.

If you wanted to experiment I'd make a couple of suggestions. If you have a park brake use it if not build some wheel chocks. Park in some safe area on a day with a bit of wind but not too much a nice steady breeze. rig some sort of wind sock at least 5 m ahead of you as you'll know a thermal is coming through before it hits your rotors. Have a mate with a radio stand beside or in front of the disk just to watch the distance to the rear of your rotor. Once you've wound up the rotors to what you think they might get in a single seater by hand or a little more but don't go to 220rpm - sorry never used a rotor tacho so don't have much guidance I'd suspect 100rpm would be fine. Now once up turn off your engine so you can concentrate on the rotors only and so if they do hinge(flap) they most likely won't hit the prop. Gradually ease the blades back to full back if its a stonger wind say 12-15mph you will need to gradually bring them back as 15mph is enough to hinge them at low rpm so you hold a shallow disk angle they should either maintain rpm or start building. You can then ease back stick and observe if they are maintaining but not climbing you have gone too far if they are descending you haven't pulled back far enough and this is the key point. When your blades are hinging they bang the stick around violently. Why does this happen and why is it so violent? Its violent because if you have the stick full back the blades when hinging hit the stop at 180degrees (full back position if 0 degrees is full forward) because the stick is locked on the back stops the mast absorbs the impact until it is so violent that it is actually bending the mast around is a circle following each rotor as it goes to retreating then forward. So the circular stick motion is actually the mast moving around (consider the forces involved to do that!) and this is pulling the control rods around which is translating into stick movement. If you stick is not fully back then hinging will appear gently at first as a tap, tap, tap if this happens full forward stick straight away! However if you pull back to full and just hope they are not hinging then you won't know until its developed fully. Now you don't want to wind up with the stick not fully back so what you do is watch the blades and if they don't seem to be spinning up then you bring the stick just off the back stop if they are just starting the hinge/flap this will manifest as stick movement but not fully developed cut power full forward stick etc.

Now you also need to develop the mental picture of your rotors winding up normally. The should make a nice circle in front of you from your perspective it should be a nice circle what you are used to seeing. However when they are hinging they are lifting up then diving back the blade will sort of whoosh up at the nose so at 0 degrees they will be higher than the normal circle then sort of swoop down. Its subtle but its there and its the first sign once you have that mental picture in your head that's the first clue, but you'll probably learn to know when they are decaying or accelerating first.

If you did want to experiment just let you know what you should see. from the outside side on it will look like a giant S shape rear swinging to the ground front swooping up the observer should be looking for the back of your disk getting close to the ground at which point they should call you off. If they are standing at 3/4 looking to the front they should just look for the disk getting low at the back if its getting close to the ground you are getting into hinging.

Watch this video this is one of the gyrogliders I used to instruct in, the club is opperating out of a different airstrip but the driver here is too aggressive and they start the blades hinging/flapping. watch from 47 seconds to about 53 seconds where the instructor signals to not go any faster. I'm not criticizing here this stuff can happen particularly with an inexperienced driver or observer I was trained to look for this low disk angle when I was observing. if the disk isn't a few feet off the ground you are hinging/flapping. Again not a criticism and the instructor has picked it up and corrected for it. I had a driver who was lead foot and would often put me into this sort of position. It will be easier for you as you will be controlling your own speed. If attempting wind up primarily with wind find someone you can trust and show them this video. They were about 2 seconds from hitting the ground here. Get your observer to correct you long before you get this bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GqHCIzVFNU

So once you can wind up stationary in wind you'll have learnt what speeds your rotors need to get up to speed. then you just translate that into movement on the ground to match that speed. If you find your rotors wind up at 10mph minimum then when taxiing only do 10mph minimum initially if they only get so fast at 10mph then top off at say 150rpm and when a gust at 12mph will get them accelerating then that's the next stage. etc. But go easy, blades are bloodly expensive.

Cameron wrote:
Henry Bowman wrote:

Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:44 am

Hi Cameron;

thank you for your efforts

not easy to visualise the whole process on the video because the camera is in front of the gyroplane .. and it is the same for the initial video displayed at the beginning of this topic

I must do things gradually

I am planning to attach a weak fishing line to the stick to prevent the rotor from exceeding say 4° of rotor angle of attack

then I will pre spin to 50 rpm and start taxing as slowly as possible rotor at 4° and check if the rotor accelerates or not (I do have a tach)

if it does not accelerate I will stop the experiment and go back to the parking

then I will try with a 5° angle of attack .. and do the process again and so forth until the rotor blurs

I will try this and keep you up-dated .. and see what should I do further to go on progressing.

I think I must learn to see how the rotor can accelerate at low angle of attack ... it is something I have never tested at all ...

this will be a really interesting test .. and it will give me ideas for my electric spinner

Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:23 am

Giro, the key to this all is you move forward way slower then think. No faster then an old man at a Golden Corral on prime rib day.
I mean slowwww

Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:30 am

Henry Bowman wrote:
Giro, the key to this all is you move forward way slower then think. No faster then an old man at a Golden Corral on prime rib day.
I mean slowwww

OK Benry, at what rotor angle of attack ?

Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:15 am

Its not a set angle, think of it more like the relationship of a gas pedal and clutch.
The faster the blades spin up the sooner your off the ground, that can be a head wind, or blades back and throttle or blades forward and forward movement.
For now just try to work on bringing the blades up to speed, get the front wheel off the ground then slow down,by cutting throttle, till nose is back on deck, then try again. I used to have to go up and down the whole runway a few times both directions before Jim would let me move to crow hops. Be aware that in the opposite direction with the wind at your back it takes much much longer. Also watch your speed when you drop the nose wheel.
Use the rotors as your brakes...

Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:42 pm

Also please practice this on pavement...grass is harder to feel

Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:06 pm

Henry Bowman wrote:
Why thank you, that may be the nicest compliment I have had in a long while!
Perhaps a new way to greet gyro guys?
"You sir, have great blade management!"
"Ahhh yes, why thank you my good man!"
Sou ds positively gentile!

Yes I shall adopt it immediately but I see a darker side. What if I don't think they have good rotor management?

"You sir were just hinging your rotors!"
"How dare you insult my blade management you utter bounder" slaps face with flying glove.
"You have insulted my honor sir a duel sir!"

which leads to the next question what would be the chosen weapon of the average gyro pilot?

Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next