It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 does anyone knows Cameron L.... ? 

Rotax Spark plug wires!
20 times the cost ngk wites which are the oem supplier!

Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:04 pm

Gabor wrote:
Girodreamer wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Indeed it is I ;)

Girodreamer and I have managed to catch up since the first comment and suggested this thread. Mad Muz we're in the same state have we met? Seems like we might have traveled in the same circles. I found a couple of the comments above I might throw an opinion in glad to be a member. Please forgive me if I don't know how to use the forum well for a bit.

hi all.

I am happy that your are here with us, we are not numerous, we are not experts, but we have a lot of fun together, this forum has strictly no other goal then being a friendly space .

Indeed. Nice to have the knowledgeable ones though instead of having the "in my opinion" ones. :kissmyass
:beefcake

Thanks for the complement but just be aware my knowledge is somewhat limited in some areas. When I built my powered gyro I was very poor a starving freelance cartoon illustrator (now a school teacher) - oh happy to help anyone who wants tail art by the way just ask as long as I have the time. Helping another chap on another forum for the same. Anyway I took about 6 years to build my powered gyro as I had no money and would buy some materials build a bit then need to save for the next bit. So while I was doing all of this I learned at Grafton with Terry Boatswain (very much the expert). I became the South East Queensland Gyro clubs first gyro glider instructor while I was building and did this for both clubs Terry and I shared these duties when I was at Grafton (although he'd mainly drive and leave me to eat the bugs and then he's send them solo etc) although I couldn't do Grafton every month as it was 5 hours drive south. But I instructed in the gyroglider on and off for about 16 years. So I have expertise in that area I did countless hours behind the car so I know wind up blade management very well in that context. My powered machine I eventually got flying (Terry test flew it) I had had to build my own wooden rotors another bloke Ivan and I built several sets -our own and several for others and I'd test flown numerous wood rotors for our club at Grafton and others and most of those we built for others and the odd set for someone with a powered machine so I am very familiar with testing, balancing span wise and chord wise etc. I've flown on numerous blades etc. However my powered time is only a couple of hundred hours over about 10 years and its been years after my final engine failure. I know loads of guys who are much more skilled and daring powered pilots than myself. I was comfortable (especially having done many hours in the glider) but many on this forum and around the place have miles more experience building powered machines etc, flying powered machines. So I don't have any particular feeling of special knowledge of powered flying so I'd take anything I say on that accordingly. I'll happily express an opinion but haven't the 1000 hours + some guys about the place have. Whats more I was conservative in my flying, I'd have fun and throw it about but I never flew fast or really pushed the envelope.

cheers.

Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:21 pm

Henry Bowman wrote:
Its not a set angle, think of it more like the relationship of a gas pedal and clutch.
The faster the blades spin up the sooner your off the ground, that can be a head wind, or blades back and throttle or blades forward and forward movement.
For now just try to work on bringing the blades up to speed, get the front wheel off the ground then slow down,by cutting throttle, till nose is back on deck, then try again. I used to have to go up and down the whole runway a few times both directions before Jim would let me move to crow hops. Be aware that in the opposite direction with the wind at your back it takes much much longer. Also watch your speed when you drop the nose wheel.
Use the rotors as your brakes...

Yes I was referring to keeping the angle of the retreating blade as low as possible by going as slow as possible relative to the wind. Only just as much airspeed as is required to get the blades to get to the next stage. I like your analogy of much slower than you think. I used to get my direct drive VW off in about 1/2 the strip of guys with much longer blades and powerful pre-rotators. They climbed out better once off because they had 583's but I got off in much less distance. Our time to clear an obstacle was thus the same. It wasn't just that I'd been well trained and had spend so much time in the gyroglider hand winding and winding up rotors and could tell by looking at tip path if they were starting to hinge it was also things like axle position many machines have too much weight on the nose so their machines are delayed in lifting the nose those extra 3 degrees make a HUGE difference in blade acceleration.

On brakes, my old VW didn't have brakes I Fred Flintstoned it (toes on nosewheel). I've built brakes for this current powered machine as I would spin them up downwind and would usually get the timing right so I could slow on the grass strip and still have enough blade speed to turn into wind and wind up without getting up but I almost got caught a couple of times. Once landing on a tarmac strip at Chinchilla that was slightly downhill I was picking up too much speed and eased off into the grass only to see an 8ft brown snake in my path I didn't have time to avoid him so I just closed my eyes and ran over him. Thunk, thunk I was then rubber necking to see if he'd gotten caught up around the undercarriage. I didn't need in an open gyro to have an angry brown snake wrapped around my gyro pissed at me ;)

Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:34 pm
Site Admin

Cameron wrote:

which leads to the next question what would be the chosen weapon of the average gyro pilot?

11mm (7 1/6th) spanners (wrenches) at dawn? :noidea :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

:Jim

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3