It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New video of My old Dominator 

elwood wrote:
Yes The MTO seems to be a good design, The only thing I do not like is the non castering nose wheel, this has been the cause of many over turns on landings

I have noticed, the UK Rotorsport version of the old MT-03 has a trailing nosewheel - and I read, the pedals (not peddels - what is it with so many US guys?) are linked to the front fork with springs.

But like JM writes, as long as you land it like a gyro, it's not a problem. But I wonder, why the MTO Sport doesn't have a trailing nosewheel. My old MT-03, converted to MTO Sport doesn't either.

Cheers
Erik

Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:50 pm

rcflier wrote:
elwood wrote:
Yes The MTO seems to be a good design, wonder, why the MTO Sport doesn't have a trailing nosewheel. My old MT-03, converted to MTO Sport doesn't either.
Erik

I think that the centering effect also exists with forward enclines forks as it is the case on motorbikes d'ont you think ?

Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:32 am

The centering effect as far as "Caster" is there, the problem is that when cross controlled as in landing in a crosswind, the rudder keeping you straight, but when the nose wheel hits the ground the gyro will dart in that direction and increase the chances of a roll over. the castering (shopping trolley) wheel will center itself with the direction of travel,
I have experience in both, and having the nosewheel automatically just center on the direction of the gyro when landing is much safer.
I know if you fly it like a gyro you will not have any problem, but all it takes is one oops and it is a rollover, Or how about taking off in a cross wind, the nose comes up you are balancing on the mains, holding some rudder to counteract P factor, and wind, then you hit a bump on the runway and touch the nose wheel to the runway, off to the side you go ass over teakettle.
The reason MTO wont fix it is because it would look like they made a mistake....and the German engineers don't want tht, plus there is the attitude that they know best...

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2