It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 at what rotor rpm lifts comes ? 
Site Admin

These guys in Qatar are playing in the wind, so the airflow is going up through the rotor... they are effectively flying with the main wheels just touching the ground.

This is not a takeoff, 'by the book' ... takeoffs not allowed by the manual. From what I have read/heard, the only acceptable way to take off in most tubs is to line up into the wind with the rotor stopped... stick forward, prerotate to X amount on the rotor tach, then stick fully back and full throttle.

There have been accidents over here with tubs and cavalon like things where people have tried to do a touch and go... so, wheels on, power up and stick back (and off comes the tail and the machine rolls over)... All takeoffs should be done 'by the manual'

This is why I don't like tubs :badluck :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

:Jim

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:04 am

100% ok .. imagine the engine stops ... the gyro would land going backward ... a gyro is not an heli ...

Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:36 am

Girodreamer wrote:
thanks H,

I will set up a cam on the gyro filming both the rotor tach and the runway

I would like to see if it is possible to keep the electric motor power (up to Say 220 rpm) during the acceleration of the gyro,

after 220 rpm the rotor would accelerate over 220 rpm without producing any torque

in other words if the pre-rotator MOTOR maintained at a constant and max speed under the flying RPM mother nature will decide cut the torque just before the gyro will take off.

G

Hi Bensen in the old days used various chain saw motors as pre-rotators, not an elegant solution but he did extensive testing with them. Generally he only had a little fuel in them started them up and after pre-rotation just let them run dry. But he experimented adding 8 or 9 hp continuous to see what would happen in flight. That was the maximum hp he found he could add without it impacting on torque too much. However by leaving them running in flight he used significantly less hp in fact he was able to get similar perfomance to his 70hp Mac with a 40 Nelson engine. I have thought that when battery technology gets good enough (and apparently there's a factor being built to make 500w/h/kg batteries now so hopefully latter this year but will wait until they are available before I get too excited this may be a way of making electric gyros more viable, basically a beefed up pre-rotator on continuously reducing total kw's required to fly. I think he discussed it in the Bensen design manual. I've also wondered if you could add a tiny (and I mean tiny) amount of re-gen into such a pre-rotator It'd be risky but people often use vertical descent for getting into a runway when too high if you could add 100ft/min to your rate of descent (obviously without drawing too much down and risking stopping auto-rotation) there's a fair bit of gravitation potential energy in dropping 500ft that could be tapped into there. Given a heavily thermic day you could actually extend your time in the air. I've certainly flown in thermals ascending at 1500ft/min on idle. An electric gyro such a thermal with motor regen I wonder how long you could stay in such a thermal and how long you could stay in the air on a charge. Flying in Australia in summer it gets bloody hot and we get some massive thermals from time to time. Anyway pure speculation but as the batteries get more advanced something like this could be possible. The other guy that has engaged pre-rotator in flight is the dude that runs sports copter. He claims to have engaged in flight to slow his descent rate. about 5:20 on the time line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaqyFRABdKA&t=318s

Last edited by Cameron on Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:30 pm

Girodreamer wrote:
Get rid of the pre-rotator, you will get rid of the pre-rotator issues !
the simpler the better,
the ligther the better !

how heavy were those Gerry Goodwin blades ?

I have 22ft Goodwin blades they are about 22kg? I pulling that from memory much lighter than the Composite blades I've hefted up onto an aircommand but not as light as my old wood blades (18.5kg).

Gerry is a master blade builder. Each extrusion leading edge comes out with warps from the extrusion process not much but there, Gerry doesn't just match sets like some manufactures but would actually straighten the buggers out. They are beautiful blades to fly, very smooth. Wind up very nicely.

Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:17 pm

Girodreamer wrote:
Mad Muz,

I am just thinking don't worry,

But ... first of all the brushless motor spins the rotor but the rotor can't spin the motor (free wheel)., there is no gear, no bendix, only a timing belt, nothing can get blocked .... I mean it is not a bendix/crown gear system

the pre-spinner would only launch the rotor to 220 with an electronic system that would drive the motor, when the rotor will accelerate, the pre-rotator will not be engaged because it will turn slower then the rotor .. it won't exert any torque if the rotor spins at more then 220 rpm

so the question ... does the gyro already flies when the gyro is rolling with it"s rotor at 220 rpm ?

I don't thing so

it is just speculation MM I don't recommend anybody to do this and my pre-spinner will work when chicks have teeth ... so don't worry to early for me (((-:

The rotor is flying at any given rpm (above zero) I suppose its just a matter of how much of the machine is lifted off. One of the things we'd nail into students in the glider is that the stick not the nosewheel is to be used to steer as soon as the blades have begun to wind up. We did this to keep them on track with the take off or they'd suddenly as the blades came up to speed and the friction of the wheels on the ground was gone would suddenly veer off one way or the other. So we'd have them steering behind the car with the rotors. As the blades came up to speed they naturally would adjust so when they came off even in strong crosswinds they'd come off behind the car. This translates into powered where you are using the rudder to point the nose but the stick to track over the runway. So even though at these speeds the blades would have been producing some lift they were no where near enough to lift off the ground. So I suppose the answer is it flies but not with enough lift to overcome gravity. Depends on your definition of flying though. Is descending flying? If flying without enough lift to maintain level flight is not flying?...Be nice to have some form of scale to measure force of lift of each wheel on the ground during a takeoff and see just how much and when its all happening.

Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:26 pm

Girodreamer wrote:
MadMuz wrote:

Thx for this video I had not seen it for years ,

I was young (15) when I saw this film for the first time, I remember that I had not been able to sleep until I could get the max max 2 VHS K7 ... when I got it I spent hours and hours watching the short footages of the gyro ... this is the origin of my obsession for gyros ...

as for bonded rotors, I wonder if some are still produced ? and if they could be tuned to zero perceivable vibs like the averso extruded rotors ?

Gerry is still about he doesn't make gyro rotors anymore and they were very smooth IMO the best of the metal blades you could get in Australia at the time. I chatted to Gerry about 6months ago he's working on some sort of jump take off head I chatted to him about Greg's system. Gerry's is different I think. It'd be nice if he was back in the game they were nice blades.

Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:52 am

MadMuz wrote:
Girodreamer wrote:

the gyro would take off shorter ..

Not always Giro... unless it is a jump gyro...

A gyro prerotating is turning the rotor with the air coming down through the disk, like a helicopter... once one pulls back the stick, the airflow has to change from going down through the rotor to coming up thru the rotor (autorotating)

I have seen people in tubs rotate to the number in the book and then 'stick back and full throttle'... and still take hundreds of meters to get airborn. My old car starter pre rotators I could use with the stick back.... into the wind, even dragon wings would get going fairly quickly because they are also using the forward movement and its resulting airflow to get to flying condition.

I don't think tubs are allowed to prerotate with the stick back are they? If their prerotator malfunctions, the machine is grounded isn't it? :noidea :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

This guy put tip jets in his rotor and gets them up to close to flight rpm on takeoff

:Jim

:Confederate

Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2