It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 5:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Entered the gyro in a car show... 

Weekend before last I got talked into entering the Tango in a car show, (anything with wheels) it was a charity event, the gyro drew lots of attention, as most people have just seen the bottom of it...We had fun, had a good turnout.
It was only 2 miles from the house so I just had mama follow me with the flashers on while I taxied it on the road.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:35 pm

Awesome ! taxiing on the road mus have been fun, did you get a special authorization from the police ?
In my dirty country it would not have been possible , as a gyro is not certified for going on a road

In france it is easy to kill a policement shouting hallha wak bar then todrive a gyro on the road !

back to the topic, what about your flights on this gyro, and what about the watter pump weakness of those engines you had been thinking of a couple of months ago ?

Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:17 am

I actually passed a Sheriff waiting to turn out onto the road on the way home, He didn't seem to be bothered by it, but we are in a rural county. Soon as we got home, we both put on our helmets and flew back over the show and waved to everyone.

The engine issues seem to be at bay at least for now, after talking to several people, gyro and snowmobile types. It seems that the plastic water pump impeller failing may be a heat issue, even the turbo sleds are only running at 160*F. I added the billet alum impeller, and added an oil cooler, and temp gauges. Now I am seeing constant 170*F water temp, and 190*F oil temp .

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:40 am

good to hear that this engine issue fixed, those yamaha engine are a real opportunity for home builders and even stock buyers
I would have dreamt to have one instead of my rotax, but I had enough trouble designing a gyro from scratch and dom tandem picture to add complexity with an engine less known in my place

I will follow your yamaha story with a lot of pleasure

jmi

Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:28 am

Yes GiroD, as with any new engine/gearbox combination you will experience teething issues, same as everyone experienced with the McCulloch drone engines to the Subaru's that were used for many years, even the rotax 2 stroke line evolved over time into the very reliable 582 blue head. Rotax does have an advantage that they do not rely on aircraft engine sales to make a profit, they have the entire motorsports industry, and plenty of resources for Research and development, Yamaha makes plenty of engines, and makes very good ones at that, The Yam engine was designed to run at high rpm for extended periods, hopefully we have found the weak links and have been able to correct them.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:46 am

yes absolutelly, and yahms are tougher thes those old flat 4 partly air cooled and limited in rpm

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]