It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 5:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Bad crash...you have probably heard about it already 
Site Admin

Damn at the 5 sec mark something falls off of it. If I had to guess the pitch up made it cut into the tail.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 pm

That's an Agusta over seas

Kobe had a Sikorsky 76 they got IMC in the Agura hills made a 180 turn and hit left side low at 100+ knots it splattered against a tree then into the ground at a 45 nose low 60 deg bank everything fractured - tail vert fin -MR blades and book contents all over second impact fuselage engines tail cone. bodies ejected at both impact sites [It hit hard - very hard ] CFIT?

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:59 pm
Site Admin

Oh. Wow. That's bad. Getting into IMC huh? Shit.
Some of these kids don't belong in the PIC seat.
Killed a bunch of people.
Sad story either way.
:cry
Thanks for the correction someone posted this video as Kobe's ...

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:57 pm

Yea. He was heading for Thousand Oaks IMC is some serious shit
[Flew safety IFR pilot with our 212 on auto pilot (Ken was great) white out through the clouds.]

With out CRM you are screwed
:pbunny

Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:06 am
Site Admin

Just another reminder of why it's so difficult to be a pilot.
The ultimate decision is always yours.
But if you don't take the flight there's always one that will.
Did once SPVFR with class C clearance overlapping D.
It took me forever to yield for the IFR traffic to get their butts out of the way.
I was holding forever in conditions that were still VFR when asked for the SPVFR but by the time I got the go-ahead, it sure looked like flying in sour creme!
I can see how he might have gotten disoriented.
Either way. Tragic. For all!
:badluck

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:02 am

That particular S76 used to be in the inventory of the State of Illinois. I used to see it fly out of Capital Airport all the time. It had 4000 hours on it when it sold in 2015

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:02 pm

Pilot requested a special VFR clearance. I'm guessing as a professional pilot he knew the conditions were going to suck.
I myself have suffered from poor ADM so I'm no one to say boo about it. Terrible cost this one.

Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:14 pm
Decent article here
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/01 ... anger.html

Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:49 pm
Site Admin

Let's also acknowledge the unfriendly ATC to rotorcraft!
They treat us like a redhaired stepchild all the fucking time!
So if this poor sap was holding for 15 fucking minutes that's ample enough for the fog to descend on you and kill you because now you are supposed to switch tho IFR but you are in a helicopter and that's not so simple to set your waypoints and shit with one hand.
Don't ask how I know. My instrument rate examiner told me there was no such thing as autopilot in helicopters.
So yeah. They can blame the pilot as much as they want but ATC had a hand in this big time too!

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:01 pm

Pilot was a dumb fuck.
A Sikorsky S 76
Standard equipment is SAS , Auto Pilot , and the bells and whistles ( state owned once )
Two pilots for IFR as on type certificate

He took a Special at Van Nuys to deal with the FARs but had no IMC experience CFII is a false pretense [teaching only]

Scud running killed them.
Take IFR at 7,000 ft to the ILS at Oxnard using the auto pilot/GPS.... Done deal.

The VCSD 212 was a good ride. If you used all the right tools in the box.....

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:49 pm
Site Admin

Wow. So the guy chose to scud run in a machine that had all the bells and whistles to make it in 0 visibility?
Fuck...... How do these guys get these gigs?
I would never hire a young kid.
Love them Nam pilots with 427329864296 hours of IFR time.
That's a shame really.
I am instrument rated but wouldn't trust 8 people's lives with my inexperienced rating!!!!!
Having a rating is one thing. Having flown in sour cream is another!
RIP to all. Sad. It didn't have to happen this way.
I assume the terrain was pretty mountainous.
VFR gets you only that far. The low ceiling in the mountains will get ya!
:Jim

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:13 am

I never tried for the IFR crap - fixed wing / airports

IMC is weather and I've been through that area lots of times it's just rolling hills , and fog / marine layer in the winter.

Followed trucks, followed roads, had no horizon and brown outs went vertical reference every time.

Army used IMC tactics and dead reference navigation, No horizon no light and landing in no where. [A black hole.] Nam pilots

Brown outs in Alaska / just married she's along for the ride [bastards still owe me 4 grand]

Vertical reference over a fishing boat in South America. [still smell the cocaine]

Half the helicopters I flew were older then me. [shut the fuck up]

This guy was flying from 2007 ????? shit happens when you get stupid and in a hurry :noidea

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:46 am
The graph at the end of this article shows climbing to almost 2000ft towards the end of the flight, almost certainly into IMC. Guy had over 8000 hours, sometimes confidence will kill you.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-peop ... SKBN1ZR14X

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:09 am
Site Admin

loftus wrote:
Guy had over 8000 hours

The only hours that matter in this situation would have been ACTUAL not simulated IFR!
Bet he didn't have a single one of those!
8000 hours not that impressive though. I have built 1900 in a year of part-time teaching!!!!!

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:15 pm

Not a chopper pilot, but with the ability to just hover, why not stop and simply lower slowly (or ascend) until you saw something.
Cant tell me an S76 did t have rolling gps screens....I mean if you have to put it in a parking lot....ya do it.

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:14 am

I was on a job in Wyoming and as we got home to the trailer park we are in one of the worst blizzards Ive seen since 77!
I cant believe it but I hear a huey! I tell my wife "think that guys fucked" but it just got louder and closer....
Then nothing....
Next morning Idrive next door to get some breakfast and theres 12 air force guys in a circle as a huey spins up right next to the truck stop fuel pumps...
Pilot probably got hammered but he saved the bird and crew.

Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:18 am

Saw a picture from a guy who flew in COMMERCIALLY and snapped a picture of the general area between LA basin & Camarillo
9:45 same day Clear VFR weather along the 118 Fwy to Thousand Oaks Reagan Library and Camarillo

and with no more flying time either - Route - South to west [IFR]or West to south [VFR]

pilot name translated? Ara Zobayan = See Old Joke.....

2 years ago Cartoon Network had a cartoon of Cobes 'crash' 4 rotor blades, same colors and up side down too.

Things that make you go WTF?

:pbunny

Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]