It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Non-current fixed wing to gyro 

I'm a non-current fixed wing private pilot looking to get into sport aviation via the gyroplane. My last fixed wing flying/BFR was in the late 90s. I'm about 20 years removed from any flying at all except for riding in the steerage section of various airliners. :(

Should I budget 20hrs or so for the transition training? Just looking to be proficient enough so as not to kill my self or any passengers.

Regards,

pmelby

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Difficult to say. 20 hours is certainly "reasonable as an average number," but I have seen students with 30+ hours who were absolutely not ready. I have also seen students who pretty much had it figured out after 5 hours, but that is the exception, rather than the rule. A recommendation for the add-on proficiency check ride at 10 hours is a bit rare and overly hopeful but not impossible if everything goes absolutely perfect from the outset. Given your stated corrosion, I'd expect more than less.

There are places you can go that will all but guarantee you can get done in "X" hours, where X is a very small number. I would be cautious of those places.

Once you get your add-on, please spend significant solo time (100-200 hours) prior to flying with a passenger. It is not a regulation requirement, but it is a really good idea.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

The actual learning to fly a gyro is not so hard for an ex fixed wing pilot.... what is the thing that usually brings ex fixed wingers undone, is unlearning fixed wing reactions when things begin to go wrong.... because using fixed wing reaction in a gyro will generally end in tears. In a gyro, following terrain with the stick, like pushing the stick forward to descend has to be unlearned....

Also, even tho the joystick and rudder pedals appear the same as in a fixed wing.... knowing the difference and applying the right technique in the right craft at the right time is key. Many fixed wing pilots in a gyro on takeoff have forgotten that the stick is for speed, not climb on a gyro.... they see the trees at the end of the strip coming up and keep pulling back on the stick to try to climb over them.... whereas easing the stick forward will allow the gyro to gain speed and climb over the obstacle

That, and landing too fast..... doing a plank landing in a gyro can cause upsets as well.

Gyros and planes are like cars and fork lifts.... as long as the 'driver' can see the differences between a car and a forklift, they can drive either.... they both have a steering wheel, forward and reverse.... a steering wheel a brake pedal and gas pedal.... but you cant drive a car using fork lift technique and you cant drive a forklift the same as a car.... the subtle differences need respecting. :pop :yoda2 :Wolvie

Elwood can probably explain the differences.... he is a gyro pilot who has just learned to fly a plank....

:trup

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]