It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 This is what that awesome looking Spektre should do......... 

This is what that awesome looking Spektre character should do in his spare time....make a similar but more awesome glass (or whatever) rotorhead for experimental class aircraft. This rotorhead allows an adjustable pitch from 0° to some positive degree (perhaps 12°?) and therefore the rrpm can more easily reach 350 rpm or higher. This in turn allows a small or zero takeoff roll and the same for landing. I would do this but as you know, I have a different way of pitching my blades and my system cannot use two blades where yours could. Such a gyroplane would simply be awesome.....for teetering rotors ;-).

I fear falling from my rotor so if I was flying a teetering rotor for more than two hours, I would not be using plane teeter bearings.....my bearings would be Timken tapered roller bearings. I'm not sure but those large bearings this Russian designer used, look like they may be tapered bearings. It appears the blades are controlled similarly to the Robinson.

Yeah Jon....you guys have a great rotorhead and blades, but all rotorheads could use some improvement....

[Youtube]pbOupFXq2qU&NR[/Youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... Xq2qU&NR=1 (Original)
I've tried several times to use the "YouTube" button on the second link but to NO avail. So poop!

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:02 am

RotoPlane wrote:

Yeah Jon....you guys have a great rotorhead and blades, but all rotorheads could use some improvement....

I agree Ed and if I wasn't under contract (non-compete,non-disclosure), and had financial backing, I would be building gyros of my design, not SC gyros of Jim's design :)
I've seen that video before and I've seen it on helicopters (Chuck B had something similar). I've suggested we design and build one, but...... :head

I'm not short on ideas. I've found a solution to 2/rev that would work with all 2 blade see-saw rotors and I'll never see it in production. :cry

I'm at a point where I would like to get something like a Helicycle and forget about gyros for awhile. :loser

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:00 am

Yeah, simple rotorhead design: Collective pitch control, working through a hollow mast. Might even work on a tandem rotor... :)

Hope this design goes somewhere.

If I had a shop of proportions and the time/$$$, I would tinker with this kind of stuff... alas: Life gets in the way of an aviation hobby. :)

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:34 am

If I did not have to go to work every day.......That whole eating and paying rent/mortgage thing really gets in the way of having fun and reaching your full potential.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:36 pm

elwood wrote:
If I did not have to go to work every day.......That whole eating and paying rent/mortgage thing really gets in the way of having fun and reaching your full potential.

WOW, ain't that the truth!

I hear we are supposed to get to the point where we are independently wealthy by 50, so we can play throughout our retirement... :wol

Problem is... I heard that last week, rather when I was young and could have made it happen... :cry

Owner/builder of

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:48 pm

GyroGeorgia wrote:
.....If I had a shop of proportions and the time/$$$, I would tinker with this kind of stuff... alas: Life gets in the way of an aviation hobby. :)

It seems we all have similar problems. I'm now retired.....basically forced there by unscrupulous banker's under way too little control, so now I have more time but must be very careful how I allocate funds to my gyroplane project. Those same banker's are now rich (many are now also retired) by taking my and other peoples money, apparently by legal means.

I am so spoiled....years ago I used to have a complete machine shop, a great go-get-it-man, CADD....everything one needs to allow a research and development outfit work. If we couldn't buy a needed component, we designed and built our own. It was during the good days in America. Now, most of the stuff I need is made in no-quality mainland China, it is not on a shelf because of high inventory taxes, I cannot make it myself because I don't have the equipment and so in many cases I'm left with hiring very expensive machine shops to do what I could have done myself. This type of system sucks.

I know it is still frustrating for Jon but right now he has it better than most....and he knows it, the lucky duck ;-).

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:15 pm

RotoPlane wrote:
GyroGeorgia wrote:
.....If I had a shop of proportions and the time/$$$, I would tinker with this kind of stuff... alas: Life gets in the way of an aviation hobby. :)

It seems we all have similar problems. I'm now retired.....basically forced there by unscrupulous banker's under way too little control, so now I have more time but must be very careful how I allocate funds to my gyroplane project. Those same banker's are now rich (many are now also retired) by taking my and other peoples money, apparently by legal means.

I am so spoiled....years ago I used to have a complete machine shop, a great go-get-it-man, CADD....everything one needs to allow a research and development outfit work. If we couldn't buy a needed component, we designed and built our own. It was during the good days in America. Now, most of the stuff I need is made in no-quality mainland China, it is not on a shelf because of high inventory taxes, I cannot make it myself because I don't have the equipment and so in many cases I'm left with hiring very expensive machine shops to do what I could have done myself. This type of system sucks.

I know it is still frustrating for Jon but right now he has it better than most....and he knows it, the lucky duck ;-).

The banksters (rymes with gangsters) seem to always come out on top... legally.

Sorry to hear you had a shop and all the fixin's to tinker... and lost the opportunity. I would really like to have something about 24'x30'-ish... with a small NC lathe and mill... and space for one or two gyro's to tinker with... kinda like a hobby so to say... grin.

For now, the heating and AC business is good to and for me (I own the co, it is a one-man show with sub crews for installs). I have a lot more control of my professional life than most folks in their 60's... so I consider myself blessed.

Still want that shop and the time to play though... :)

Owner/builder of

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:19 pm

GyroGeorgia wrote:
.....For now, the heating and AC business is good to and for me (I own the co, it is a one-man show with sub crews for installs). I have a lot more control of my professional life than most folks in their 60's... so I consider myself blessed.

Heating & AC is a good business to be in up here in Ohio too.....was a time we only needed heat (when I was younger), nowadays we need both.

For the time being, I'm working on my gyro stuff in my house (a church, aka; money pit) until I have the barn built, hopefully this spring. I could easily track a 30' rotor in here....and I may still track my 22.5' rotor after the pre-rotation testing is completed. But that's seems a ways off.

I hope you get your shop John....I know how important they are.....for more than just a gyro.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:53 am

RotoPlane wrote:
GyroGeorgia wrote:
.....For now, the heating and AC business is good to and for me (I own the co, it is a one-man show with sub crews for installs). I have a lot more control of my professional life than most folks in their 60's... so I consider myself blessed.

Heating & AC is a good business to be in up here in Ohio too.....was a time we only needed heat (when I was younger), nowadays we need both.

For the time being, I'm working on my gyro stuff in my house (a church, aka; money pit) until I have the barn built, hopefully this spring. I could easily track a 30' rotor in here....and I may still track my 22.5' rotor after the pre-rotation testing is completed. But that's seems a ways off.

I hope you get your shop John....I know how important they are.....for more than just a gyro.

Interesting you mentioned a church... I got my home from a guy that had a home church in the basement (used to be the garage)... thus no shop space at my home... Nice house though, one of the few in the neighborhood that has a driveway to the back yard. I use the basement 'meeting room' for a home theatre... have an 8' (diagonal) HD projection system with Bose surround sound... it will vibrate the walls if you choose... :)

If I were to invest around $20G in my home, I could dig out the 'crawl' space (9' at one corner, 3' at the opposite)... it would be around 22x22 ft with a nominal 9ft ceiling after it was finished... I am debating between this or get a place in the country... not sure I want to retire in suburban Atlanta.

Yes, HVAC is a good 'small business' to own/run... the $$$ is relatively good, the freedom is great (except summer, that is busy season), and it is a LOT less work than home remodeling projects (former life).

Spent New Year's Day at the hanger at CedarTown, put most of my Dominator frame together... I do not have a 'rolling frame' yet... as I need new main tires and paint the rims... and also determine how far forwards to mount the nose wheel (I am a bit larger than the former owner of this gyro...Bud O'Neil, yes, I bought his white Dominator). During the dis-assembly, inspection, and painting, I fabricated a new main keel and larger/stronger cluster plates. If I can spend the better part of Saturday at the hanger, and I do not find 'that part' I forgot... I may have a rolling frame... hope so anyway, it will be one of those 'feel good' things that motivates one to 'get-er-done'!

Have a GREAT new year, hope you get that barn built and ready!

John/GA

Owner/builder of

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:03 am
Site Admin

I am all open for ideas.....ROFLMAO :realcrazy
Helicopters are the bomb. I am just in my gyro phase right now...... it can pass really fast though :)
When it does I'll be calling you Jon. :) I haven't signed any contract or stuff..... :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:07 pm

Spektre wrote:
I'm not short on ideas. I've found a solution to 2/rev that would work with all 2 blade see-saw rotors and I'll never see it in production. :cry

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner Jon….as some have already confirmed, life tends to get in the way.

You know Jon…..you could test your total solution out on your own gyroplane. I imagine a good part of your rotors uncontrolled 2/rev was reduced with your hub-bar-to-blade attachment design method. Actually, the closest I've come to seeing one is through Gabi's Behemoth photos, so I'm assuming your blades can move a little bit in the lead/lag direction.

I knew about 2/rev on helicopter see-saw rotors before I saw my first gyroplane, and when I designed my rotor system, first a 2-bladed one and then the one I have now, a 3-bladed one or 3/rev now.....this was one of the problems on my mind. My blades will move fore and aft about 1/8" max during a full rotation (6" inb'd from the blade pivot bolt) and that movement is dampened with a low-rebounding bumper rubber (a ball of the stuff won't bounce).

Well any way….I see this as a way to dampen most 2 or 3/rev without having to use a "special shuttle rotorhead" (I can't think of its name - I should be in bed) and it works well as a continuous blade slinger too. The mast (or in my case the pylons) still need to have some dampening flexibility, especially with movement fore and aft.

It would be interesting someday, to see how you've solved the 2/rev problem, and I don't doubt for one minute that you have.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]