It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Magni fun 
Site Admin

:eek

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:19 pm

That was fun ...... it also proves that

A GYRO CAN HOVER

hehe ... me bad ... that video should go in the RWF thread a few years ago whether a gyro can hover .... it was a fire-storm of debate with nowingsattached leading the cavalry

Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Lets try another angle....If a gyro can hover...then what is called what a helicopter can do that gyros can not ?

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:35 pm
Site Admin

Maximum performance takeoff.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:52 pm

Hellified wrote:
Lets try another angle....If a gyro can hover...then what is called what a helicopter can do that gyros can not ?

.... let me fix them angles fer 'ya ... hehe

A helicopter cannot hover ... if there is too much wind

A gyro can hover ... if there is enough wind ....

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:08 pm
Gabs; it looks like the video requires or uses an older Quick Time Plug that is no longer supported in newer browsers. Not sure how you post it......

Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:17 am

loftus wrote:
Gabs; it looks like the video requires or uses an older Quick Time Plug that is no longer supported in newer browsers. Not sure how you post it......

That happens to me too (Quicktime not working) .... but I click on where it says mp4 and it plays on Windows media player.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:13 am
Site Admin

:pbunny

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:25 am
Site Admin

Now THAT is a gyro doing what gyros do :like :koolaid :lick

Flying for FUN.... not always having to GO SOMEWHERE..... just having a blast.

When we used to go to fly ins and stuff... from about 5am all the trikes and scouts and rag wing ultralights would be buzzing around.... us gyro people would fall out of our tents at about 9 o clock and fly the rest of the day, because it was too windy for the others...

Awesome video Gabs... when he was sitting stationary over one spot in the ground for minutes on end, without moving forward or backwards.... what would people say he was doing? How would those who say gyros 'cant hover' say he was doing? :pop

We went thru all of this last time over yonder... and Birdy explained how hovering was staying still in the wind.... and I said, so if the instructor tells a heli student to go and hover over the helipad for 2 minutes.... in a 20 mph wind... that would mean he would be miles away from the helipad.... si, in the eyes of the instructor, the student cant even hover?

Hovering, to me, is over a spot on the earth... say a helipad.... If a heli hovers over the helipad on a zero wind day, it is hovering, if it is a 20mph wind day, he is hovering.... if a gyro is staying stationary over a helipad on the same 20 mph day, he too is hovering.... if a crow is sitting over the helipad, it too is hovering....

The difference between a helicopter hover is that it can do it in most places for a few minutes at a time whether there is wind or not.... and that costs at least 4 times more than a gyro and 3 times the gas.... where a gyro can only hover in given condition (+25mph wind for a heavy-ish machine).... but it is far more affordable/achievable for us mere mortals that aint rolling in cash...

So, others can believe what they want, but as far as I am concerned, that machine was doing a very believable impersonation of a hove... and I wouldn't know how to describe to anyone what he was doing hanging there, without using the word hover :laughing so there :fuckum :wol2 :Wolvie

Was that a magni or an ela? The front of the canopy looked like an ela? I dunno, they all look the same to me :laughing

Hey Gabs, Where is the dancing yoda emoticon?

:fickyou

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:04 am

Yes that is very cool....try that in a fixed wing!

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:15 am
Site Admin

Muz I had to delete a few. It was getting a bit cluttered. Least used ones I did delete.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:59 am

You will just have to find your own Muz....

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:19 pm
Site Admin

Should have got rid of the :fart :fartnew I don't think I have ever seen them used :noidea :sf-fight :killme :killa :laughing

I didn't know you had a limit on how many you could have?

:eek
:fickyou

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:24 pm

:fartnew :fart
That's all I have to say about that.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:55 pm

A gyro , Piper cub...or even a 747 can all find strong enough wind to stay over one point on the ground...and thus can hover by this use of the definition. A helicopter can hover in more conditions...even 0 wind! So...all the above aircraft...even a 747 can hover. The Cub can hover when the 747 cant....the gyro can hover when the Cub cant....and a helicopter can hover more than all the others.
I no longer fly a gyro or a helicopter...but my last 4 years of having the capability to hover EVERY time I flew was no comparison having that extra dimension of capability.

I loved to simulate hovering while flying my gyro on windy days...and finally being able to do it in the helicopter was an awesome experience.
But as I have said dozens of times, if you don't desire the capability to hover without wind, then the complexities and expense of a helicopter makes no sense. But....if you want to experience hovering in no, light, or strong winds....then a helicopter is the way to go.
Been there , done that, in both!

Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:42 pm
Site Admin

elwood wrote:
That's all I have to say about that.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Arnie M. wrote:
Hellified wrote:

A helicopter sure can hover in wind 60 kts+ done it no big deal, A gyro can't hover down wind :fart :fartnew :fart

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:19 pm
:gyro2 Roy Davis probably could.

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:42 pm

Hillberg wrote:
Arnie M. wrote:
Hellified wrote:

A helicopter sure can hover in wind 60 kts+ done it no big deal, A gyro can't hover down wind :fart :fartnew :fart

I hear 'Ya ... my tung-in-cheek post was regarding a heli with a max speed of 90mph could not hover over one spot if the wind was 95mph.

Highest winds I ever flew in was 50mph ... actually it was my instructor flying and I was just along for the ride ... bored instructor decided to have some fun for 20 minutes ... airport was shut down because of the wind , every pilot was in the cafeteria telling true stories ... .

He Hover-taxied (sideways like a weathervane) to the runway in front of the cafeteria windows ... broadcast his intentions on the tower frequency (cafeteria had radio speakers) .... then did a few vertical and backwards autos .... had to keep the AS at 53mph upon landing so we didn't slide backwards.

And the best part ????? .... all the fixed wing pilots were at the windows of the cafeteria .... it looked like a school bus at a window-Licker convention

:Can

Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Helicopter pilots always tell true stories

Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]