It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Anybody at Mentone??? 

Totally agree on this. The first couple gyros I built (I know back in the 90's) were less than $8k or $9K total including the Rotax 503DC engine. It's tough to justify $60k-$100k for a gyro.[/quote]

If I was to build my Dominator today, it would cost me near $20k
That is of course all new parts, no bargain stuff. :)

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:18 am
Site Admin

It costs us $AU16,000 for a 582 and E box..... No one makes rotors over here any more, so it would cost at least $AU6,000 for rotors, :badluck

That is already $US20K without head/prop/frame/seat/instruments etc.... :realcrazy

But then, a $US75K factory gyro = $AU101,600 plus freight....

So, for us, to build a basic open gyro over here would be at least $AU40K ($US30K) :violin

I guess that is why the home built gyros are not popular as much any more.... It used to cost me $AU16K to finish one....

For us, a rotax 914 is $AU38K :ugeek: :what :yoda2 :Wolvie

:Jim

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:22 pm

There's a company out of Missouri that may be one to watch: Gyro Technic. They have some videos on FaceBook. Missouri apparently has a pretty large gyroplane club now.

The machine seems to be a CNC-built drop keel Bensen/Bee style with a 582 for power. Nice workmanship.
Website is a work in progress expected to be complete in a month or so.

Spoke to the guy...he was at Mentone, winning all the machine awards. Kit sells in the low 20K range without engine, prop, rotors or instruments. Currently using Dragon Wings....but also probably switching to something else soon, due to availability.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
I think the Eurotub design concept has also won out from a pure practicality stand point. 2 place, reasonably comfortable, able to do some cross-country touring with a passenger, even with some baggage room in some cases. I know they are often accused of being just lipstick on a pig, but I think the whole package delivers more than the general Bensen and Dominator designs, irrespective of whether the one flies better than the other or not. That's why I really like the Tango, just seems to offer a good entry into the sport without the crazy prices and without needing to be a real builder.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Yes gyro technic does very nice work for sure, but it is just a CNC KB/Bensen (nothing wrong with that) but you will be @$30k by completion, unless you find a used engine, then you can fly @60 mph for one hour...for just $10k extra you can have a Tango........

At first I did not want to warm up to the euro gyros, but after flying/riding in a few they are very nimble and maneuverable, yes way better cross county machine than a $40k dominator 2 place WAY WAY WAY better than the RAF/ sparrow hawk 2 place machines.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:47 pm

I am still thinking about doing this......viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5364

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi Chris Thanks for being so kind to my friends Dennis and Misty at Mentone.

Just like you they are FANTASTIC people.
They really seem to have enjoyed your company.
Maybe next year I will get there again this time it seemed better
to enjoy a small breathing spell and work on the gyro

Marc

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:46 pm

I took Titanium to Sebring light sport expo & Oshkosh ..last year 2017 spent a boatload of $'s for a lot of tire-kickers to ooh, ahh, drool ... then big fat nothing! ... My current marketing plan ... to travel to gyro-specific events & place couple of units with the most active CFI's training students ...ready to make buying decision ... has proven the best bang - for buck!
Also the idiot who sabotaged my tail trim tab at OSH last year ... left a bad taste!

So no more Titaniums at the big $ booth shows ... for now! :Jim :Jim :fuckum

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:51 am

JonCarleton wrote:
There's a company out of Missouri that may be one to watch: Gyro Technic. They have some videos on FaceBook. Missouri apparently has a pretty large gyroplane club now.

The machine seems to be a CNC-built drop keel Bensen/Bee style with a 582 for power. Nice workmanship.
Website is a work in progress expected to be complete in a month or so.

Spoke to the guy...he was at Mentone, winning all the machine awards. Kit sells in the low 20K range without engine, prop, rotors or instruments. Currently using Dragon Wings....but also probably switching to something else soon, due to availability.

MANKATO ..MINNESOTA .... home of the new ...supersweet engineered .. beautifully machined ..entry-level single seat kits GYROTECHNIC ... they & the humble leader- designer Denis Schoemaker ABSOLUTELY ROCK!!!

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:57 am

I agree with your marketing logic. From what I have seen at the big, primarily-fixed-wing events, it is a good place to fly if you want to make money giving rides and exposing people to gyros, but it isn't a great venue for sales or serious customers. More like a carnival.

I won't even give "introductory flights" at Sun-N-Fun or other mixed aircraft events. I don't believe it's particularly safe and I don't believe the people who want "introductory flights" really understand the risk involved with being in the air in an environment with mixed aircraft types and mixed skill levels. It isn't so much that I think I am not a capable pilot, it is more that I think there could be someone out there who is much more capable of being an idiot.

Gyro events are much safer. The skill levels may be mixed, but at least there is a common understanding of operations and capabilitles. From a marketing prospective, the people there are already of a gyroplane mindset at least at some level.

Chris: All that said, are you coming to Wrens?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

When is Wrens?

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:10 am

Friday 9/14/2018 and Saturday 9/15/2018...some folks get there a day or so early and some stay for Sunday to pack & run.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thank you Jon.
Hey Lofty wanna fly up?????

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:40 pm
Gabor wrote:
Thank you Jon.
Hey Lofty wanna fly up?????

Hmmmmm - maybe. It's the week after I get back from my Africa trip - but tempted for sure. Pretty much fly up Friday, stay Saturday, fly back Sunday.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:17 pm

Quote:
Chris: All that said, are you coming to Wrens?

All year I planned to fly my red gyro across to Wrens ....to complete the whole pack of Major/minor gyro-events attended in one year period! ... course that would be weather dependent mission ...THEN CAME FLO!

Also son # 2 is at last marrying his sweetheart (after 6 years ... winning her parents over!) - next week-end ...last Sat I just got back from a delivery trip to Arizona ...via a stop for high altitude testing @ meadowlark in CO ... Monday I was scheduled to take a couple up for a couple of flights to celebrate their 42nd anniversary ... on the first attempted TO ( after a solid run-up mag check)... my 914 engine shotcraps & vibrated very badly ...lost power!

after no joy chasing possible fuel supply / float issues ... the new local rotax mechanic & I found on 2/4 side the carbs main jet circllip had broken ... 2/3 lodged under the screw ... 1/3 vanished ... so a deep engine inspection necessary ... just a few minor nicks in piston & head ... no debris lodged in rings or valves ..... should be up and running week after next ( when mechanic is back from holiday!)

We also got the sad news that Marion has stg4 cancer in the bones ...so a trip to El Mirage ( commercial flight- no gyro) seemed top priority to say farewells & one last party with Springer family!

... so all said ...Wrens will wait another year! :gyro2 :dropbear

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:52 pm

Jon, the Gyro Technic picture is of Denis Shoemaker's Hornet.
I remember his build and first flights.

Cheers
Erik

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 pm
Site Admin

Chris I am sure I can speak for all of us. We are deeply saddened by Marion's condition.
She is such an important figure and character we all love.
She has lots of good in her life. She will be definitely missed.
:cry

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2