It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Roy Davis in Dubai 

Gabor wrote:
They have the day off today and will be back to the competition tomorrow.
I am impressed by the relaxed rules of flying over water and close to spectators.
You could never get away with that here.
Hell they even challenged me on sitting on a chair in the middle of the airfield being a target.......
I am glad the wussyfication has not reached yet every place.
GO Roy!

I don't know about that------ I notice the very lack of people, back ground, fore ground, over around looks like a ghost town in concrete . . . .to quote Mel Brooks "Where's the white women at?"

Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:25 pm
Site Admin

The Dutch guy crashed into the damn water. Weird I was just complaining about that fact flying over water.....I am getting old and see things through safety eyes :eek

Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:54 am

Gabor wrote:
The Dutch guy crashed into the damn water. Weird I was just complaining about that fact flying over water.....I am getting old and see things through safety eyes :eek

Thanks Dad, you are no fun.......

Hey everything has inherent risks..Water is softer than than earth, but it presents other dangers.

Hope He is OK.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:17 pm
Site Admin

Well he is not OK. He was under water way too long.
There was no need for that low finishing flight on the pylon race. 3 meters is a bit pushing it.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:46 pm

Dang I did not know it was that serious, sorry.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:18 pm
Site Admin

Yep. He had total control loss and plunged vertically into the water.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Well that sucks.....

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:15 pm
Site Admin

Yeah. They cancelled Roy's competition for tomorrow.
One trike also had an engine out and took a bath too.
:argue

Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Flying over visible moisture = carb ice. . . .?

Had it happen to a flight school they complained of rough running engines on take off we went to check on the problem.
Putting Stone lake end of the runway told them 'use carb heat' they thought we were crazy.... Showed them ..not too crazy free flight time.....visible moisture is more than clouds :bunny

Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:31 pm

OK GABs .... sounds like you know more than the media / organizers - are saying????

was it pilot error/???? mechanical????

If it happened over the desert would it have been a fatal / fireball????

Any word on the pilots condition? .... is he critical or recovering???

What is the analysis ... from the observers - Roy???

Curious ... lots of ?'s :noidea

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:31 pm
Site Admin

He is in stable condition. His family is by his side.
He did hit hard with his MT03 and claimed losing total flight controls.
Another gyro was pulled for hitting the tail hard on the fucking steep takeoff.
Those machines don't have Lofty's tail wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He was rolling out of a steep turn is what I have heard and it seemed he nosed up and just fell vertically into the water over the drop zone.
There is a complete gag order by the hi highness and the video won't be released either.
It is a hush hush society after all.
More so if they cut your head off!!!!
:laughing :killbunny

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:30 pm
Apparently the pilot passed away, according to Abid's post on RWF. Very sad.
Abid's comments are that the crash was caused by hard left pedal with a hard left bank. Does anybody really know?

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:29 am
Site Admin

Yes poor sap died a couple of days ago.
Funny how they reported him to be in stable condition just before they released him to his homeland.
Then all of the sudden he died..... :eek
Sad. There is just total gag order on what had happened.
Everyone seem to say the same thing.
Rolled out of a left turn than nosed up and plunged vertically into the water at the drop zone.
The more I talk to people who saw it the more it looks as if he had something weird going on.
The whole thing looked like he got either distracted by something or just totally over controlled the MTO.
Either way. Very sad. He was only 49 years old

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:50 pm

One report from a frame by frame video

--- full throttle steep left turn
--- hard left rudder
--- side wind ripped pilot visor and helmet off
--- helmet radio wire jerked pilot head to one side
--- fuselage rotated and top of rotor exposed to oncoming air
--- vertical drop to the sea
--- scuba rescue squad not suited up - delayed rescue
--- pilot only had broken jaw but drowned
--- may have survived if divers got him out right away.

The (initial) blame is use of left rudder during aggressive left turn - pilot error

Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:33 am
Site Admin

That is pretty sad.... condolences to the pilots family... :badluck

Yeah, since the euro tubs have expanded in :OZ .... ASRA had to tell pilots not to cross control euro gyros on approach (skid) like side slipping a plane.... because with the big side area of pod exposed to the relative airflow.... any movement of the rotor head to expose the airflow to the top of the rotors, the machine can 'trip over' ....

When this order came out to not side slip, they were saying.... "why would you even want to side slip a gyro? " and "there is no reason to ever want to side slip a gyro anyway" ..... which I found a bit unfortunate, because I like to approach crossed up a bit, so looking where you are going, the instrument pod isn't in the way of your view...... so, as I see it, it is just another fun thing that gyros used to be able to do without issues, now being crossed off the 'things gyros can do' list.... thanks to newer models of an old design having to be restricted in what they can do to cover up short comings :noidea :puke :laughing :fuckum :yoda2 :Wolvie

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:39 am
Site Admin

Wow. That is pretty bad.
I must disagree here with side slipping restrictions though.
That is over reacting a bit.
MTOs are very capable of side slipping!
How do I know?
I have done it and so did I death spirals and tail overs in it!
That machine is perfectly capable.
I can understand if the pilot got his head almost ripped off and lost his concentration.
But if you were maneuvering an MTO with total control it is going to be able to do all the tricks open frame can do.
This is not a Trixy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The side panel is really not any larger than the freaking pod on an Aircommand!
If ASRA thinks that putting a sticker on the cyclic of an R22 "no pushovers" was a great solution.....
Well in that case this will work too in Australia and from now on the shortcomings will be strictly placed on the pilot!
Haven't we all heard the same thing when Dennis Fetters started killing pilots and blamed it on pilot error?
Until someone actually figured out that it was an unforgiving machine in the hands of inexperienced pilot?
Sad either way. Apparently the water was too murky and that is why it took so long to find him.
The boat was there in seconds.
I don't think that video will be released by the way.
:twopennies

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:34 am
Gabor wrote:
Wow. That is pretty bad.
I must disagree here with side slipping restrictions though.
That is over reacting a bit.
MTOs are very capable of side slipping!
How do I know?
I have done it and so did I death spirals and tail overs in it!
That machine is perfectly capable.
I can understand if the pilot got his head almost ripped off and lost his concentration.
But if you were maneuvering an MTO with total control it is going to be able to do all the tricks open frame can do.
This is not a Trixy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The side panel is really not any larger than the freaking pod on an Aircommand!
If ASRA thinks that putting a sticker on the cyclic of an R22 "no pushovers" was a great solution.....
Well in that case this will work too in Australia and from now on the shortcomings will be strictly placed on the pilot!
Haven't we all heard the same thing when Dennis Fetters started killing pilots and blamed it on pilot error?
Until someone actually figured out that it was an unforgiving machine in the hands of inexperienced pilot?
Sad either way. Apparently the water was too murky and that is why it took so long to find him.
The boat was there in seconds.
I don't think that video will be released by the way.
:twopennies

Yeah pretty silly how everyone immediately starts jumping all over MTO machine limitations being the problem, especially on RWF. I'm sure next thing someone is going to blame the hard linked nose wheel.
Every aircraft has limitations, and in any air race like that the pilot will push the machine and his piloting skills to the limit. And that is when the accidents happen. Whether one flies a 152 or an F-14, the pilot has to know the operating limitations of the aircraft and fly within them. The clones like the MTO have been flown more hours safely than any other single gyro type - they've been flown in all types of conditions, even circumnavigated the globe.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:45 am
Site Admin

Word for word from Attila Filipovics

Quote:
Szia Gábor! Kicsit el voltam keseredve az eredmény miatt, de rájöttem, hogy inkább így legyen mint a szegény holland sráccal. Ahogy láttam, és a szervező is azt erősítették meg. Az utolsó balos pilonforduló után gyorsítani szoktunk, hogy a zárókaput mielőbb elérjük. Ahogy befejezte a fordulót, bottal egyenesbe hozta, de a bal láb bennmaradt. Ezzel egy nagy sebességes történő jobb csúszás történt, és elkezdődött egy jobbra dőlés. Mikor rájött, korrigálta balra, majd ismét jobbra (túlkormányzás nagy sebességgel). És az utolsó jobb fordulóból a gép teljesen oldalra dőlt, és a föld(víz) felé billen gyorsult. A vízbecsapódás a gép jobb oldalával, majdnem háton, a függőleges helyzethez képest talán 10-20 fokkal eltérve történt. Én így láttam. A sebesség szerintem 120-150 km/h lehetett. Az állkapcsa törött a pilótának. A kamera szerint valamit a sisakjával foglalkozott közvetlen a forduló után. Lehet ezért történt a túlkormányzás. A legnagyobb probléma a mentés. Kb. másfél perc volt, mire a hajó odaért. Akkor még a búvár tökölt az uszonnyal. 8-10 perc volt mire a felszínre hozták. Az eredményt elképzelheted. Újraélesztés, de ilyen hosszú klinikai halál esetén nem tudni az agykárosodás mértékét. Múlt kedden hazaszállították Hollandiába. Pénteken kaptunk hírt, hogy meghalt. Sajnálom, de szerintem így a jobb, mert az agysérülés miatt nem sok jóval kecsegtettek volna! Vigyázz magadra, Filipo

Hey Gabor, I was a bit bugged down because my finishing score due to the deductions but I rather have it this way then the poor Holland guy. The way I saw the accident and the officials said the same in the last left turn during the pylon run rolling out we used to speed up so we could get sooner to the closing gate. As he finished his turn and he leveled it with the stick his left pedal seemed to be in full deflection. He was coming at very high speed and he started a right slip and a right tumbling. WHen he realized it he corrected it to the left but then he over corrected it to the right again. The machine now was completely on its right side and appeared to pick up more speed as it was plunging into the water. The impact was on the right side and almost vertical maybe 1O-2O degrees off of completely vertical. The speed was as high as 12O-15O km-h. His jaw broke only but the boat got there very slowly. Then the divers were messing around for a good 8-1O minutes and by that time I think he was pretty much done. Last Tuesday they took him home to Holland and he died there. I hate to say it but he is probably better off dying than having to survive that much lack of oxygen to the brain. Fly safely. Filipo

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Hey Calender-Maker!

Thank you so much for sharing that view of what happened from Filipo's POV who is experienced in gyroplane flight & who also flew a gyro there in the competition.

To read & understand from his viewpoint is golden!
Hopefully all of us can learn from this sad accident...

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:53 pm
Site Admin

You are welcome. The guy is trustworthy and he is an excellent instructor. He also said that watching the video the officials mentioned something about looking like the guy was fiddling with his helmet coming out of the turn. But it was most definitely a pilot error due to over controlling a bad situation into a fatal by administering the wrong inputs.
Either way its is very sad to lose a gyro brother.
If the boat got there sooner and the divers would have gotten him under 2 minutes this would have been a way different story.
I don't like to speculate before knowing the facts because that's just that. Speculation.
That belongs to the currency market :eek
And I do suck at it! I have proof :rofl
Nobody learns from speculation.
I am glad Attila was kind enough to share what he saw.
It wasn't a malfunction of the machine so we can put that to rest.
MTOs are pretty damn good machines.
:fickyou MUZ

Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2