It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Last edited by Flying Wolverine on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:56 pm

BD's OR PRA convention ... being mobile!??????

PROS:

A chance for different groups of locals being exposed to gyros!

Chance for different clubs to host a large event!

Different areas to fly - explore!

CONS:

....... inexperienced event management!

.......infrastucture for airport camping ( Wauchula or Mentone ... have the hanger space for visitors & hook-ups for campers) any new place will have the cost of suppling hook-ups OR gut the fun of campers ... dispersed to local RV parks!!! NAH!!!! porta pottys /shower trailer .... mobile anywhere! Mentone has OK bathroom/showers ( being upgraded! ) Also the canteen / kitchen! .. BD's food-truck caterer last year was GREAT!

Climate .... Florida ((warm - even if wet at times!!) ... nice to kick off the fly-in year in April ... still cold anywhere else..............could work any where along the southern coastal states????? Again ... apart from Chap 62 .... any other clubs not big enough & with the leadership & helpers to host a large event is doubtful

,,,,, well that's a start to kick of a discussion ... I'm SURE has been hashed out many times in many places before!

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:49 am

Quote:
Be kind of cool having it go around the country so us Florida boyz and galz can get out of the state once in a while
and especially if some never get to go anywhere.

........ you want to go fly other places OUT of state ... it's called hitting the road ...( Wrens springding ) ROTR - MENTONE - El MRAGE - ANAHUAC - Bastrop LA .....Wrens/Barry days.... pretty good variety of Fly-ins & regions!

I think keeping BD's with-in FL ... is the best!

I'm getting ideas here about starting a NEW ... minor fly-in in KANSAS .... I have todo some research ... but the Beaumont hotel with it's grass strip ... hotel . for meals & accom & space for aircraft parking ( but no shelter / hangers) - RV's parking space ... may be a good place to start!

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:02 am
Site Admin

Thank you for the common sense Chris. :OZ :dropbear

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Last edited by Flying Wolverine on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Chris has a great start on her local choice for a fly-in. Check out her suggested location:
http://beaumonthotelks.com.
The hardest part of any fly-in is getting enough committed individuals with enough free time long before until long after the actual "event" to actually get the job done. The locals at the current BD location are doing well as are the KBFF group or the several in the Texas areas. Several people have actually relocated just to be able to participate in their local events. Moving the "event" might be like a slap to the face of these unseen but invaluable individuals.
And Chris, your group of volunteers doesn't have to own or fly gyros. They just need to want to have a great social event locally. Isn't that what most of us come for ? The meet, greet and eats.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:03 pm
Site Admin

Bensen Days is a Sunstate event. Sunstate is Florida. We don't tour. We are here and we are successful hosting the event here. People come from north of us because it is good weather here by March/April.
We have the infrastructure built out and we can accommodate the large number of visitors.
We have to support group hangaring at the site who does the roll out and the setup a week before the event.
We have the local businesses setup and ready for us to dine out and have catered to.
We have the crew who does the take down hangaring at the site.
Can you even start thinking of any place that you'd know enough people to put even just the tents up??????
This idea had no thoughts behind it at all.
Without the morons this event would not take place.
Having 40+ people there what makes it possible.
Bensen Days stays.
Not even a possibility for moving it.
It is not feasible.
That's what the national convention is for.....before they made it a backyard BBQ by buying the airport.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]