It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Propeller thread.....All about props... 
Site Admin

Tim, yes airboat prop blades cop a hammering, the small chunks and chips in airboat (or aircraft) leading edges are pretty common and don't need attention.... but some that are bigger or deeper chips, especially closer to the hub.... do need attention ASAP.... A deep chunk out of the leading edge close to the center can throw a blade.... one coming off can literally rip the motor out of the boat....

The small rough normal look of a prop can often be repaired with a file or sand paper, but deeper chunks and chips need a proper repair. On Ivo and Warp, I have always used araldite or superglue where you mix the resin and catalyst..... first picking any debris out of the chip and looking for cracks, then filing/sanding the damaged area, making sure to leave it rough, but clean. If there is any cavity, I have used some fiberglass matt to push into the hole.... I have seen others push poly styrene beads in holes so the glue doesn't end up disappearing into the hole.... then apply the glue, working it into every groove and scratch of the rough surface you left on purpose, to give the glue plenty to hold onto. When the glue is on you can get some clear packing tape and cover the new patch which helps keep its shape and dirt out while it cures. After curing, peel off the tape and sand smooth.

There is new glue now, where you simply clean the 'wound' put the clear part A on, then sprinkle the catalyst on the glue, cover with tape and sand once cured.

I am a big fan of 'helicopter leading edge tape' which is a clear tape about 2" wide (you can get 3" and 4") which is put on the leading edge from about 1/3rd out to the tip of the prop.... it will stop the sand blasting of small particles, and will reduce but not prevent damage from rocks/birds etc...

I use the same repair method on wood props, but rather than file out the 'valley' of a chip. I pick any loose wood or debris out with a scriber and feel for large cracks or splits, and sometimes will drill small holes into the damaged piece, to give the glue somewhere to go into for better grip.... then I use the same araldite/superglue and spread in the same way.... followed by tape.... then sanding once cured.

If you have used a lot of glue on one blade repair, you must balance the prop, or risk running it out of balance and stuffing the gearbox..... :wol2 :Wolvie

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:21 am

Another junk autogyro prop on an MTO. This was one they would never replace with only about 150 hrs on it. This and one other blade cracked on the trailing edge I tried super glue but it split again. They said it was not there problem :Cheapass :kill

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:16 pm

MadMuz wrote:

.. A deep chunk out of the leading edge close to the center can throw a blade.... one coming off can literally rip the motor out of the boat....

I have seen that firsthand ... a Cessna shed part of its aluminum prop and the violent imbalance tried to rip the engine right off the airplane

The pilot said everything was shaking so bad he could not even see the panel and had to shut the mags off by feeling around for the switch with his hands .

He landed on a farm field , 3 of the 4 dynafocal mounts had torn off the firewall , the last one was barely holding , the fiberglass cowling & the throttle & carb heat cable & some wiring were all that held the engine on.

The lighter composite blades we use today may not be quite as bad , but I sure wouldn't want to try it.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:19 am

Dang that's ugly, Who makes the autogyro props? Do they make them in house?

How is Lofty liking his new Sensenich prop?

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:56 am

Autogyro makes there own prop. It does look a little messy because this pic was after I tried super glue and it re split.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:30 am
Site Admin

Always Gone wrote:
Another junk autogyro prop on an MTO. This was one they would never replace with only about 150 hrs on it. This and one other blade cracked on the trailing edge I tried super glue but it split again. They said it was not there problem :Cheapass :kill

So what props do you run on MTO's now Desmon? Any preference or does price usually rule? :noidea

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:39 am

Right now I have an IVO. Not a bad prop and I can get a new one very easy. I think powerfin is just a bit smoother. I have flown those as well.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:00 pm
elwood wrote:
Dang that's ugly, Who makes the autogyro props? Do they make them in house?

How is Lofty liking his new Sensenich prop?

So far I love the Sensenich. Measuring it, it's actually 69" not 68".
Two up and full gas on Friday, cruise at 70 knots was just under 5000 rpm.
Next week I plan to fly to Bensen Days and try get a good idea of fuel consumption at cruise.
One thing now is that my oil temp never gets out of the yellow and I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. Gets to the upper part of the yellow.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Do not sweat that Jeff I only saw my red MTO hit the green twice and that was flying farmer jim I had 700 hrs on that bird

Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:10 pm
Site Admin

Want it in the red Lofty?
Take me for a ride LOL :rofl

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:04 pm

Hey Madmuz.... what are your thoughts on the Bolly prop's made in Aussie??

Thanks

Barry

Sat May 30, 2015 6:50 pm
Site Admin

gyrojock wrote:
Hey Madmuz.... what are your thoughts on the Bolly prop's made in Aussie??

Thanks

Barry

Hi Barry, I haven't had anything to do with them? I believe they are good... Neal wouldn't have chosen them for the Titaniums unless they were exceptionally good... so I would take that to mean they must be Far Superior :laughing :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

Sat May 30, 2015 7:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2