It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Who likes electric cars? Who wants one? 
Site Admin

This is what I just wrote on the Shannons forum.....

You have to remember too... one day an electric vehicle, or 2 electric vehicles WILL crash into each other or a metal obstical and people will fry.... or the batteries in the tunnel between driver and passenger will ignite.... and when the modern batteries do burn, they burn real good.... or someone will get barbequed electric style.... which will be rather off putting to humanity.... you know, like when some kids in a car passing an accident and they yell to their parents "Hey look, that fireman is doing it 'Gangnam style?" and the parent driving says "That's not Gangnam style, he is just getting electrocuted by that car wreck" ..... already the fireies and Police are very tentative around electric car crashes especially in the wet.... here is a video of what LiPo batteries do if damaged.... These batteries are LiPo (lithium polymer) which are extremely powerful, although very easy to damage.... I am not sure if they are in Hybrid cars yet, or if they still use round LiOn (lithium Ion) batteries.... which are more forgiving than LiPo. You can imagine if your freshly charged Tesla hits a metal power pole or runs over a metal man hole that stands up and cuts a battery pack.... you cant turn it off, water wont put it out.... and the battery in the video (with the mad Ruskies) is only 1/200th of the size of a battery in an electric car. So, if one goes off, they all go off. We always remove the batteries from remote control models in case they puff or explode.... so you don't lose your plane or heli if it burns.... You cant take the battery out of your Tesla to charge it.... so, if it burns, it burns. So... I wouldn't be charging my electric car in the garage under my house..... People just need to realise if they are happily zooming along in their Prius/Leaf/Tesla at 110 kph and the batteries have 'an event'.... well, lets just say, the funeral for the occupants will be cheap.... the cremation will have already been done.... The electric cars are basically like riding with a grenade in the glove box... Once a few owners get toasted and then insurance companies 'charge accordingly' .... deadly diesel might be the better option? At least it kills you over time .....

This battery has, what is called in the RC trade....'Puffed' so it is holding compressed gas and acid. A LiPo can do this if it is overcharged, under voltage (used too much out of it as in the battery went below a certain voltage) .... if a LiPo was stored too full or too empty, a black car left in the sun reaching an 'UNSAFE temperature ....... if you run over half a house brick on the road and it punctures, it wont puff, it will just go "Mt Vesuvious" and take the rest with it.... (and the occupants of the vehicle) So, this video, the guy had a battery that puffed.... so he made sure it was charged, taped it to a piece of wood and dropped an axe on it.... this is the result.... even if the battery is not fully charged. ..... So, sorry, I personally love the IDEA of electric cars.... but certain safety info is being kept from us.... mostly about the safety. Ask your local fire brigade. I think you will find that if they get called to an electric car fire, anyone in the car will be dead, all they will be able to do is push the car to safety with the fire truck and vacuum out the bodies once it burns itself out.... PS: I don't mind if you call me 'Happy Joe' LMAO.... have a nice day :)

So, I hope electric cars have been tested against lightning? :noidea that they have been subject to damage at high speed, like running over something sharp (house brick/rock/2x4) or a ditch or level train crossing that the 300# of batteries in the middle rupture and explode.... you will have to get out no matter what speed you are doing and it will burn worse under water if you end in the ocean or a lake (flood water) ..... The battery with the axe cut would have burned like the Rusky battery if there had been an electrical spark/cigarette/metal/carbon fiber car scraping on the road.... any spark and it would have gone Krakatoa....

:yoda2 :Wolvie

I cant believe no Prius have popped yet? :pop I said YET :laughing

:Confederate
Who still wants an electric car?

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:42 am
Site Admin

I bet, something else big brother hasn't thunk of re electric cars.... They don't run on 12 volts... maybe 400 volts.... and it is mobile....Some murderous asshole like Ted Bundy could wire the passengers seat to 400v ... pick up hitch hiker or other victims... push a button and that person is dead? Dead in a home made, mobile electric chair.....

If you get a LiPo or LiOn battery and short the output leads.... they explode.... they are basically a detinater.... benry.... could one little LiPo set off some Cee four? I bet it could.... so, essentially some terrist or group of terrists could park a dozen stolen Teslas under a tall building and short the batteries.... you cant put the fire out? 10 of them would make a stink.... probably poisonous stink....so much heat and fire it could weaken a building.... or a tunnel/bridge.... drive them into an air port and ark them up.... :badluck

People have no idea how dangerous electric cars are? Look at the freeways around you.... imagine if 80% of those cars were electric? Each one a factory prepared bom? The Batteries instructions say DONT GET THEM WET because they do like those metals that explode if you put them in water..... so, if you get caught in flood waters.... don't stay in or on your tesla :badluck bad things will happen :laughing

I wouldn't be buying a convertible in case it is outside and gets caught in rain.... you get back to the car and it is just a smoldering lump at bottom of a crater where you parked it :dizzy or your car electrocuted 10 people as they walked past it ..... :killme :laughing :Wolvie

This battery blew up for no reason... not even on charge?

:Jim

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:54 am
Site Admin

Thanks for that. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:57 am

Hmmmmmm.

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:07 pm
Site Admin

elwood wrote:
Hmmmmmm.

Yeah... they drop off your new electric car and you read the manual and it says .....

Batteries not included :eek :laughing

From what I have heard, the biggest stumbling block for electric cars, is they cant work out how to make us pay enough for them... like, if you have your own solar or wind charger, you can charge it free.... you buy the car, you pay nothing for 'fuel' .... no money for income for the car manufacturer, the battery manufacturer or the gubbamint to tax??... Essentially, you could buy an electric car now, buy a good battery that lasts 10 years.... but how can that be taxed? Only up front and if they make the tax or cost too much, people cant afford it.... they have to make parts that fail regularly, batteries that wont last 10 years etc etc so we have to keep paying like we pay for gas now.... that is THE ONLY HOLD UP....

I think what they will do, is you will buy the car and rent the batteries. The battery will have a computer in it of course, so the computer can be told to tell the battery when it is time to fail (regularly)... and where the battery is 'for repo' if you don't pay..... So, you will have a bill every month for 'battery rental' the amount will have to be about the same running costs as you pay now.... so you can use your :Cheapass free electricity, but everyone has to rent the battery. :loser naturally, the affordable (almost) battery will not be very good.... it will just do ok.... if you want the BEST battery, it will be better (until the computer tells it to play up) but you will have to pay premium $ for that :violin so, the only time you buy the premium batteries, is when the gubbamint uses your tax to put the best ones in the cop cars.... otherwise, all you can afford is the shitty one :puke2

If you can afford the $20,000 for the battery up front, the computer will tell the battery when to pretend to fail, so you have to go and get the battery 'serviced' (ie, told to work properly for a while.

Then, the car and gas thieves will start a new crime... stealing batteries out of electric cars.... which you can then buy on the black market.... the Chinese will clone the batteries... but the clone batteries wont have the secret chip in them to tell the car electronics to behave, so it will need to keep going back to the dealer, warranty will be void because of bogus (non genuine) batteries, so they can extract more money from you... and life will be back to normal once more ..... Honestly.... they cant sell you a car that will last a long time, a battery that lasts along time.... they wont see you any more and you wont pay? The car manufacturer will program its 'check engine light' to come on and the motor go half speed (limp mode) so you have to return to the dealer (regularly) and the battery manufacturers will have their batteries 'play dead' until you buy the $800 little black box to make it go good again (for a while)..... then you and I will pay pay pay pay as usual :like :pop

If that fails to work, the gubbamint can at least put thousands more cash cameras everywhere with NO tolerance.... you do 55.5 mph in a 55mph zone, you get cited... registration will be expensive :realcrazy more than now.... :badluck

Ahhhh aint life grand :noidea :chainsaw :yoda2 :Wolvie

Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:41 pm

What they want to do here is equip them with GPS that tattles to the IRS about how many miles you drive, so they can send you a bill for road taxes, Since you are not paying the embedded taxes in the gasoline.

Here at work they have electric car chargers, but it cost $0.75 an hour or something like that...

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:25 pm
Site Admin

Between wifi, blue tooth, your cars GPS tracking already.... they know where you are.

What you will find the big push for the autonomous vehicle technology, is not so much that a person can phone their car and get it to meet them at the airport.... they will wait in the bar and get slaughtered... then the car can drive them home..... that will never happen... it is all about the car being able to transport you to the local tax department or police station if you are wanted .... so you might get in your driverless (able) car but you have to be in the drivers seat and you must press certain buttons so the car knows you are not asleep..... but the police/gubmint will be able to identify a criminal or tax owing person by the facial recognition..... er, I mean, 'making sure you are awake camera'.... the doors will lock and your car will let you know you are going to the local IRS unless you care to pay the $3,200 they reckon you owe them by credit card..... whereas, once you pay, the car will let you go about your business..... criminals, it will be straight to the local police station where they will be expecting you :laughing

The police also want to be able to park your car against your will.... rather than chase you or use the siren to get you to pull over.... your car will just bing bong and say, you are subject to a routine traffic stop... officer McDougal will meet you when we park.... and the policeman or home base will drive your car to a convenient place to park.... the 'make sure you are awake' camera will keep an eye to see if you are nervous and the seat sensor will tell if you are figiting or moving like you are hiding something..... if the glove box detector opens, the policeman will suspect you grabbed a gu.n and he might call for backup. There will be sensors on the steering wheel and you will have to have both hands on the steering wheel... if the officer is informed your hand just came off the steering wheel..... duck! :laughing

Like the changeover to digital TV.... for 'better entertainment' .... yeah right.... try that every television can record sound for 'them' .... and newer TV's can actually watch you as well as listen.... only to catch terrists naturally.... :lie :realcrazy

we have no privacy. don't expect to get any either :badluck That is why so many people put their flat screens in a cabinet and close the doors on the cabinet when not watching tv... :dizzy :yoda2 :Wolvie

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:24 pm

On the topic of blowing up stuff..I mentioned a long time ago that when I was a teenager on the home farm, I had access to sticks of dynamite, fuse, and blasting caps.

My friends and I would set one off out in the pasture. Man...people that say an M80 is 1/8 a stick of dynamite has never heard or felt a stick of dynamite go off.

I was going to get some ammonium nitrate, 50 pounds and mix a little diesel fuel with it. It takes a stick of dynamite to set off the ammonium nitrate. The fertilizer and diesel was easy to get....One pound of ammonium nitrate us supposed to be equal to 100 pounds of dynamite.

It never happened as I started getting a little scared what 100 pounds equivalent of dynamite would do to neighbors windows. I had one neighbor lady 1/2 mile away tell me she heard a huge explosion one day coming from the direction of our farm, that rattled her china in her cabinet. I said "REALLY????".

I had several sticks of dynamite hid from my dad up in a parts cubby hole. About a year later I climbed up and reached in to get a stick of dynamite. It was literally dripping with liquid, which later I found out was nitroglycerin dripping out. You are supposed to occasionally rotate your sticks of dynamite to stop this. I would have hated to have dropped one!

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:27 pm

400 volts....so...

what you are saying is that with a little creative fender re-wiring....

navigating street-blocking protests really needn't be a problem with an electric car?

(just thinking out loud)

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:50 pm
Profile WWW

More info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_e ... _incidents

Jon, Now that you mention that.........Back when I was in high school I hooked up afterburners in my trucks tail pipes, you know the model T coil and a couple of spark plugs in the tail pipe....Throws flame out the back, great for tail gaiters!! Anyhow I grounded the coil to the frame of the truck, for the inital testing, and when I would hit the switch it would send an electrical current through the truck body, well we had some fun with the girl next door, when she came over to see what we were doing, and leaned on the truck, Brrrrzppt! Yes it was lots of laughs for teen aged boys for sure.....Not a good way to treat teen aged girls though.

She still talks to me, Mater of fact She lives about 2 miles from the cedartown airport, And her nephew is one of the tandem skydive guys there (sorry) Anyhow, fun with electricity.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Heli, think back...when you put your hand on the dynamite tbat was greasy do you remember getting a really bad headache that day?

Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:25 am

I don't recall getting a headache, but this was around 48 years ago. I wasn't old enough to drive yet, but old enough to blow up dynamite. I clearly remember picking up a stick...and it was oozing liquid. I was only using two fingers and I am sure I washed my hands with the hand cleaner we had in the shop.

I eventually took my couple of sticks out and buried them in our landfill.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:35 am

screw that i want one of these!!

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

http://lightningmotorcycle.com/

The biggest problem with the Electric vehicle, is that you cannot travel, I mean who would be willing to drive cross country having to stop for 6 hours every 100 miles..... :noidea
I know Tesla motors is trying to change all that, but I can buy a whole lot of dead dinosaurs for the cost of a Tesla!

Until we are using dylithium chrystals as a fuel source, electric cars are just for short commutes, pre planned and nothing spontaneous, or out of the mileage range....

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:02 am
It's like NikolaTesla said....it's all about the music. Frequency that is.......

Batteries are just a way to store the music for playback. Someday we won't need them even.

Can u say kick ass pre rotator motor or maybe even an electric gyro that's practical.

After watching this video it all makes sense to me now. See what U think.
:like

Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:04 pm
Site Admin

The smartest way we have at the moment is to have cars driven by an electric motor..... but an onboard generator providing the electricity, with just a small bank of batteries to even out the electrickery from the generator... I have been looking at doing this to one of my imp cars. So the smallish generator runs constantly as you drive any distance, but just down the road to get a jug of milk, the batteries would do.... but if you decide to drive outside the range of the batteries, the generator runs constantly at a foxed RPM and the electric motor does the speed variations.... so you would still use gas or diesel, but far less imo.... Trying to rely on batteries alone is asking for trouble.... not to mention, I havent mentioned how bad it is being confined in huge magnetic fields yet :laughing

You know, how folks whinge and whine about living next door (or under) high voltage power lines.... :badluck :laughing :yoda2 :Wolvie

I remember when cell phones came out.... how :ultragay people whined they gave them brain cancer.... seems that fizzled out?

:Jim :Confederate

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:10 pm
Hybrids are probably the best way to go at the moment, but all the disadvantages of electric cars are being overcome. A Tesla 3 can now go up to 600 miles. A big one is charging time, being cut sometimes to half hour or less. Batteries being safer - the lithium batteries now being sold for cars and aircraft do not burn like the lithium batteries shown in the videos, and are half the weight of regular batteries. The other technology is hydrogen fuel cells. I think over the next 10 -20 years we'll see a much bigger penetration of these technologies. We do have an emotional connection to our internal combustion engines, but when one starts to add up the advantages of electric like massively increased simplicity, torque on demand, clean, quiet etc - they really do start to make a lot of sense. Internal combustion got us to where we are, I don't think they will be the engines of the future. Even for aircraft, short haul commercial electric aircraft are becoming feasible. And electric drones are starting to replace the UPS truck.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:32 am

I can't say that I want a electric car and I don't think I ever will.
but on a positive note Tesla is attempting to come up with a better
battery technology.

On a related subject when I was much younger I had a 1966 Chevy pickup.
It had a 20 gallon fuel tank in the passenger compartment right behind the
drivers seat that was the full width of the cab and went from the floor to
just under the back window. The driver and passenger were less than
6 inches from the fuel tank. They were made that way for a few years
until they moved the fuel tank because of safety issues. A few of them
did explode in side collision accidents. I beat the hell out of that truck for
about 4 years. I drove it almost as reckless as the Dukes of hazard.
Dispute the safety issues II wish I still had that truck today.

Marc

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 am

When the first gasoline cars started showing up, people were all up at arms about being in a buggy with an flammable liquid sloshing around. Then they started putting glass windshields in them and people were up at arms about being in a buggy with a pain of glass in front of your face.
The worry over battery fires is no more than the next "up at arms" issue. You're already doing 80 miles per hour in a glass box carrying a flammable liquid. How much worse can you make it?

Lone Star Rotorcraft Club (Vice President)

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:13 am

New Electric Mustang=FAIL

:puke2 :puke3 :puke
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/209 ... -show-2019

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:07 pm
Site Admin

Maybe the Moronic Musk schmuck truck will be better? :noidea :laughing :yoda2 :Wolvie

:Jim

Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next