It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 History 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGom0uiW130

:pbunny

Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:53 pm

interesting , I'll watch the entire video later ..

it is funny because the french also claim to have been the firsts to take off in an heavier then air motorized flying machine

Clement ader is said to have flown at 20 cm above the ground on a distance of 500 m in 1890 .. certainly a patriotic french hoax

the french army reported it was true ... despite many attempts the bird (in fact a bat) has never managed to properly fly unlike the Wright brothers aircraft ..

https://www.fai.org/news/9-october-1890-first-take-ader’s-eole

but the wright brothers aircraft could not take off without a catapult .. at least at the beginning no ?

Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:01 pm

Girodreamer wrote:

it is funny because the french also claim to have been the firsts to take off in an heavier then air motorized flying machine

Clement ader is said to have flown at 20 cm above the ground on a distance of 500 m in 1890 .. certainly a patriotic french hoax

the french army reported it was true ... despite many attempts the bird (in fact a bat) has never managed to properly fly unlike the Wright brothers aircraft ..

but the wright brothers aircraft could not take off without a catapult .. at least at the beginning no ?

I know of five others who flew
Australia steam powered
France gasoline powered
San Francisco steam powered
Conneticut steam powered
Germany gasoline powered

All in 1900 to 1903

Wright contract 1947 silenced all competitors - I like Aviation History

Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:39 pm
Site Admin

Speaking of history.... :eek :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

:kissmyass

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:10 pm

Connecticut still has a Gustave Whitehead day on the calendar....

Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:26 pm
Site Admin

One for Giro .... :koolaid :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

:france

:Jim

Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:44 am
Site Admin

How about a true... Sail Plane? :noidea :wol2 :Wolvie

Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:28 am

Hillberg wrote:
Girodreamer wrote:

I know of five others who flew
Australia steam powered
France gasoline powered
San Francisco steam powered
Conneticut steam powered
Germany gasoline powered

All in 1900 to 1903

Wright contract 1947 silenced all competitors - I like Aviation History

The Wright flyer first had tracks and did take off under power when they took it to France they had developed the catapult idea. But Kitty Hawlk was very windy so it may have needed more time than they could count on in still air? Its a pity they got themselves caught up trying to take legal action and spend so much time trying to take people to court for using ailerons (they used wing warping) that they just slowed development of their aircraft.

Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:30 pm

What Ho Chaps!!

Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:33 pm

merci Murray

amazing ... I had seen the video of the white house gardens landings but Had never seen this one

I still don't understand why ciervas could land on a so steep descent angle and without ground speed .... does anyone can explain why can't I do the same ?

MadMuz wrote:
One for Giro .... :koolaid :pop :wol2 :Wolvie

:france

Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:31 pm

Low disk loading. horsepower and stroking landing gear

A well timed cyclic flare works too.

Had a guy who flew a KB around, He'd dive down do a well timed flare and set the mains as both air speed and descent rate became zero.
Had a few people come by and ask where the small helicopter crashed... It was parked on the cement pad 8x8 foot.

Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:20 pm
Site Admin

That is how a gyro is supposed to be landed Giro.... stop and plop... :laughing

I watch videos of people doing Cessna landings in a euro tub... the instructor only pats them on the back and tells them it was a perfect landing...

Once they land it all wrong (like a Cessna at speed) :dizzy

The secret is to approach steep enough to keep airspeed... then refrain from flaring when 'it looks like you should'... and only flare at the last second... if you flare early, you may have to add power to stop it getting ugly :eek :violin :kissmyass :Wolvie

Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:36 am

I agree with you but we have a lot of euro tubs here in france, (99%) but the golden rules of ultralighs is to land engine idle at best ratio airspeed

of course old rich people coming from FW and buying eurotubes or euro fridges land like cessnas ... assholes .. and they crash often

historically the first ultralight fan had bad engines and were absolutely forces to fly over places where it was possible to land engine off

notably the rotax 532 had crank issues and would size often

so the gloden rule of ultralight flying was to land idle to be ready to land with the D day when the engine would quit

hence me and most of my french counterpart are only landing as you say

but I think that even like this it is difficult to perform the same landings then on the cierva video murray, at least with no shocks

your own landing video convinced me that I could approach steeper with more airspeed and flare higher .. but I need bolocks to do this ... and or shocks

this something I need to work out with my new gyroplane on with I installed really good shocks made for aviation , super light and super effective (1200 euros the pair ...)

for the moment here is the shortest landing I can make ... and it is obvious that I only began to lift the nose at 4 m and then flared smoothly (not to ballon) at the end of the day I did not roll long BUT I did choose my impact point like you did wanting to touch down before the fence ...

look at my tandem ... you will see the long legs ( the shocks are in the tubes) and the huge front wheel with a suspension

I think I will be able to work out Murray landing with it

after this I am going to strip my monoseater so that I can remove the fairing , clone it with 7 kilos less, re built a light engine frame and modify a couple of other things to save at least 10 kilos and install the shock (5 kilos)this way I will also be able to work od short landings with the mono also (for the moment I have no shock and when I attempt to land like you I bend the landing gear tubes ... did twice and stopped)

I know you had no shock but managed to land this way without harming your landing gear ..

Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:35 am
Site Admin

That was a nice landing Giro... nothing wrong with that at all! :like

When I was learning, I would often do the correct steep approach... but then flare too high... then have to lower the nose... add power and do the down the stair case landing... DoH!!

The key was to come in steep and fast and resist the temptation to flare early... and then once you do flare, flare hard and don't let off

When done right, you stop on the spot... the rotors make the wop wop noise as you touch down... then everything relaxes... :yoda2

Done wrong... lets say... can get interesting :eek :drama :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:30 am

Practice practice practice

I'd do a hovering auto, a 90 degree auto and a 180 degree auto with every flight. Floyd was Ok with my flying but Sharon his wife and vice president wasn't . . .

Helicopters with fixed skids like the Bells and Robinsons had no 'shocks' and it was obvious who had the touch

Enstrom, Hughes and Brantleys were more forgiving , But you saw those who bottomed the struts

A well timed flare at the right height and you didn't have to add collective at all , Some times you didn't even feel it set down :pbunny

Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]