It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Found some of my old gyro videos 
Site Admin

Yes Giro... that is/was a Parsons (AKA: Flying pencil)

Sort of like a flying school bus :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

:Jim

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:39 am

yep but a CTL parson with a tall tail and a HS ... it must fly much better then a parson (in terms of stabilty I mean, but of course less manoeuvrablese of course )
what about it's yaw stability ? if you remember ?
mine is a 2/4 inch LTL ( thrust line 2/4 inch lower then the COG and the tall tail and the HS have a 0012 airfoil
don't know how it will fly... we will see hahaha

Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:00 pm
Site Admin

I never flew in it, but it sure seemed to fly stable enough...
Seemed to be a good, long distance cruiser... I can't imagine anyone 'throwing one around' :eek :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:21 pm

this is why I need to keep my monoseater in fact ... the big ship to "travel" and the small gyro to have fun ...

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:47 am

I think this is kind of wrong thinking.
Of course keep the mono for fun, but if you need to travel a two seater is a particularly useless way to do it.

I am still waiting for Fairey to get off their asses and realize the Rotordyne is THE answer just born too soon.

You and 60 of your mates can travel in style!

Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:52 am

yep ... 60 gls for a gyro sex trip (((-:

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:26 pm
Site Admin

Henry Bowman wrote:
I think this is kind of wrong thinking.
Of course keep the mono for fun, but if you need to travel a two seater is a particularly useless way to do it.

Not sure what you mean Benry? I would choose to have a heavier, more stable machine to do trips carrying a wheel to get around at and destination... and a lighter weight, more minimal machine for blasting around a local area? :noidea

Sort of like having a Gold Wing, big heavy touring bike for trips... and a KX250 dirt bike for trails and bashing around in the bush? :like

I think Giro's idea is spot on :koolaid :laughing

Same as with my wheels... I have the MCM5 for dirt bike duties... zipping arond a car park and playing on... the Nikola for sub 40Mi rides... and the Sherman for long rides.... Gyros, like wheels/motorbikes/cars/boats.... one unit can't do everything well all the time :pop :yoda2 :Wolvie

Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:49 pm

with my mono I am caught in the middle ... this bloody bird do fly fast-ish ... 75 mph at 5800 rpm and I am not a liar ...

it leads me to fly further away then the other opened rotax 582 powered mono seat-gyros I see around me .. but the consumption being high (at least 21 litres) I have no safety margins .. I am sick of landing with only 20 minutes of gas ...

but I have been stupid to make a real tandem where I should have made a short tandem with the passenger on the pilot's bike ... just like magni's M14 (lighter then this flying clothes iron) ...

it would have been the best compromise In my opinion ...

as for the wheel, it would be perfect for me to be able to travel a few km away from the countryside airfield ... but there is a fucking law banning those means of transportation from roads (they are only allowed in city roads and bike traks ... shiit) ... I will do it anyway ... the fine is not dear ... hahaha

and I saw at least 2 airfield with bicycle track nearby ...

Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:36 am

What I'm saying is that a dreadnaught class gyro for travelling long distance is a poor comparison to a fixed wing.
Now a two place to take up friends and have fun is a great reason.
But far off travel? Fixed wing all the way.
Hovering and vertical needs? Heli.
Ultra compact take off and land anywhere in calm winds? Paramotor..
I just can't get behind a two seat gyro for serious distance travel.
It has the potential to be safer... but the safety records just not there either.

Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:50 am

I have chosen to Fly a gyro and not a fixed wing because I believed that an engine failure would be less likely to kill me thanks to the small airspeed when we touch down (see the MM landing ... when I am old I would like to be mad muz)

As the American pilots were saying about autogiros (ciervas pitcairn etc) an autogyro is twice the power and half the speed.

with the same engine the best french 2 seater FW ultralight flied at nearly 300 km/h , the best gyroplane (the ela eclipse) flies at 160 km/h

so I agree with you ... buying a 170.000 euros eclipse gyroplane to travel is more then supid ...

I don't need to travel, but I need to be able to fly 3 hours at 130 km/h with my girl and 5 kilos of change of clothing ..

France not the US, it is a small country but it is really different, each 100 km you make senaries are different .. it not necessary to go far to travel ..

this is why I have built a twin, which won't be fast but that will be able to fly longer then my actual maxs max 2 hours without margin

I need 3 hours plus 1 hour margin arrived at destination

Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:59 pm
Site Admin

I would love to fly in France... around that Viaduct in the south... that would be awesome.

Giro.. laws regarding things like EUCs are only applicable... if you get caught :noidea For a member of the PoPo... trying to catch people on EUCs is like trying to corral cats :laughing

Besides, you can get a small suitcase and cut a hole in the bottom the shape of your wheel and say it is just you luggage :rofl Wheels are illegal here too... but the cops can't be bothered chasing us... and most cops are more interested in what they are and how they work. Of course, if one were to race past a cop, on the road, in traffic... at 80kph... well, let's say... that wouldn't be the smartest idea :? :laughing ... But, if you were simply leaving the air field going to the local town for a meal and a low fat latte with a gas can in each hand, at 25kph, I doubt the cops would hassle you? :noidea

To extend your range Giro, you only need to carry extra fuel tanks? When we built Sams machine, we used plastic gerry cans for fuel,, 3 x 20L

That VW gyro on one of my videos has air conditioning freon (disposable) tanks... you can use barbeque gas bottles, fire extinguishers... even aluminium tube like your frame material with the ends welded up and a filler. I have even seen the big alloy fire extinguisher bodies (water type) used as fuel tanks. To carry another 20L of fuel wouldn't be hard?

Yes, it will add some weight (which will use more fuel) to begin with... but by the time you have taken off and climbed to your cruising altitude... you still have as much fuel as you would have had when you took off (normally) :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

Check the fuel tanks....

Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:57 pm

Muz...vacation approved. We are heading your way!
Were still working out details but looks like will be renting a bike to drive from Sydney to Brisbane a d gold coast area for at least one leg of our journey.
I will keep in touch as we finalize plans for September!

Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:59 pm

MM

wheels are not illegal in france, they are ok in cities on the road and out of the cities on the 25.000 km of bicycle track network .

the trouble is not, not to get caught on da road out of the cities (fine is 35 euros), the problem is, not to cause an accident ... in Nice (city) an Ukrenian refugie kid of 5 years got killed by a man riding an electric kick scooter (trotinette) ... he went directly in prison .. for 3 years ...

the guy was ridding at 80 km/h ... and nearly all the scooters are going well beyond the 25kph max seed limit ... if you kill someone with an illegal scooter ... it is clear that in france you will spend 2 years in prison, and much longer in the Uk and Us (10...)

but ok I don't see how the hell could I kill anyone, just by riding a wheel on the road side btw an airfield and a service station or a restaurant..

as for the extra fuel tank .. I already carry 51 litres, but is is true that I could add 10 liters , last time I flew, I went to a home builder meeting and I had attached 8 liter of oil tanks full of fuel in the bottom of my fairing, I used them at destination

but it is the limit ... I only have 65 hp (certainly less), I ve lost 5 kilos in the 5 last months ... think I will drop 10 more kilos, it will leave me more margins ... also as soon as the twin is flying well I will get back the mono to my shop to work on it

I will re make the fairing (exactly the same but with 5 kilos less) change the 4 kilos seat for a 1.5 kilos one and fit a small electri rotator , in all the bird will loose 10 kilos .. so 10 kilos less on da bird and 10 kilo less on me will give me more margins ..

I also could work on the engine mount which is crazy over engineered and drop 2 extra kilos .. we will see .

I also use aluminium tanks :

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:24 am
Site Admin

A few more old videos on my youtube channel... Ratman Murray

from back in the good ol' bad ol' days :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2