It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Sport Copter 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQhzy4YzSg

Loops
Rolls

What stops the other Gyros from doing the same?

Sat May 21, 2022 1:11 am

Well, I would say two things.
First off be it known that I am not only a hige fan of Sportcopters, but on a personal level very good friends with Jim.
His rigs are overbuilt in areas that have stress. And where some machines like Autogtro have cracks show up in their blade roots, Jims are built with raised bosses that stenthen the blades from what I see.
But the real answer here is, Jim.
He is in my opinion the single most gifted gyro pilot out there. He is NOT reckless or a dare devil. He approaches his acro with incremental steps gauging his machine and progress along the way.
He truly is meticulous.
I don't believe there is another machine out there Jim would trust to do his performance in, BUT if there was...it would be Jim and his huge balls that would be doing it.
I would say 75% balls 25% machine.
Also the Sportcopters are wuite nimble in the air.
One day Jim and I were flying and said lets play follow the leader. He immidiately nosed down into a tight split 8 I think its called and was headed underneath and behind me before I could even react. I laughed cause no way was I gonna try it!

Sat May 21, 2022 9:07 am

There is a NEW...GYRO-ACRO pilot on the scene since last year .... been " thrilling". spectators (sickening pilots like myself & Steve McGowan)... Barry Thigpen ...flies a very stripped down Dominator with Denis's Gyro-Techic RazorBlades rotor!
I got to talk to him quite. bit this Bensen Days !

Last year... a couple of AR1 pilots ( GregS/Roger) jumped on me to delete his name & modify my comment - when I made a comment on some very obscure YT Chanel video ...that showed a clip of his "routine"!

In all fairness I learned that he comes from an aviation aerobatic background & has modified his machine a lot ...just for his aerial antics! That is the ONLY kind of gyro-flying he does ...practise his routine & explore the spins loops & rolls he has now perfected!

I still hold my breath while watching him fly! :eek :noidea

Thu May 26, 2022 4:39 pm

Dropbear wrote:
There is a NEW...GYRO-ACRO pilot on the scene since last year .... been " thrilling". spectators (sickening pilots like myself & Steve McGowan)... Barry Thigpen ...flies a very stripped down Dominator with Denis's Gyro-Techic RazorBlades rotor!
I got to talk to him quite. bit this Bensen Days !

Last year... a couple of AR1 pilots ( GregS/Roger) jumped on me to delete his name & modify my comment - when I made a comment on some very obscure YT Chanel video ...that showed a clip of his "routine"!

In all fairness I learned that he comes from an aviation aerobatic background & has modified his machine a lot ...just for his aerial antics! That is the ONLY kind of gyro-flying he does ...practise his routine & explore the spins loops & rolls he has now perfected!

I still hold my breath while watching him fly! :eek :noidea

Seen 1930s gyros looping and rolling - Plenty of helicopters too. A very small club :pbunny 3 loops in a row impressive !

Thu May 26, 2022 6:03 pm

I t is crazy that, the best products rarely become leader products in our global capitalist world .

nice looking web sites looking professionnal, global products attract people who know nothing about gyroplanes
2 weeks ago 6 gyros landed in montelimar coming from a northen base.. we hosted them for the night before they flew back home.

6 autogyros ...hillarious

before they arrived to the hangar to fly back we have inspected those gyro and found out that all had a play in the controls...

when you take the stick in hand you can move it one inch before the rotor starts to tilt ...

in my opinion those gyros are really dangerous ...

magnis have nothing to see with this, I am speaking of magnis because my mate has always one in the shop for maintenance or reconstruction after crash, and because we have 20 magni's in the hangar

magnis follow aeronautical construction rules, autogyro don't ...

ela eclipse are okish,

DTA have disapeared , a chinese company bought the DTA and failed to maintain production ... bankruptcy

eurotubs are onmy represented by those 3 brands ... and all of those 2 brands are going in the rotax 915 injection direction,

people will die because this engine has too much torque

Henry Bowman wrote:
Well, I would say two things.
First off be it known that I am not only a hige fan of Sportcopters, but on a personal level very good friends with Jim.
His rigs are overbuilt in areas that have stress. And where some machines like Autogtro have cracks show up in their blade roots, Jims are built with raised bosses that stenthen the blades from what I see.
But the real answer here is, Jim.
He is in my opinion the single most gifted gyro pilot out there. He is NOT reckless or a dare devil. He approaches his acro with incremental steps gauging his machine and progress along the way.
He truly is meticulous.
I don't believe there is another machine out there Jim would trust to do his performance in, BUT if there was...it would be Jim and his huge balls that would be doing it.
I would say 75% balls 25% machine.
Also the Sportcopters are wuite nimble in the air.
One day Jim and I were flying and said lets play follow the leader. He immidiately nosed down into a tight split 8 I think its called and was headed underneath and behind me before I could even react. I laughed cause no way was I gonna try it!

Last edited by Girodreamer on Sat May 28, 2022 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 28, 2022 3:17 am

I agree Giro.
The 915 wiĺl cause more problems

Sat May 28, 2022 4:56 am

Henry Bowman wrote:
I agree Giro.

Doesn't have to. A big, ugly T-tail in the propwash would stop torque roll.

Sat May 28, 2022 8:35 am

Henry Bowman wrote:
I agree Giro.

WILL?????? ...THEY ALREADY HAVE ...just look at the several 915rotax-powered fatals in the last year!

One-up ...1/2 tank fuel ....longer rotors for higher elevations! ADD ( 150+ HP rotax/conversion's ...ADD low-time hastily signed /transitioned older pilots from FW background! )----> DISASTER!
:realcrazy :calmdown :badluck

Sun May 29, 2022 6:21 pm

Drops.....so you have followed and wowed my posts elsewhere.
I don't know how many people got my thinly veiled sarcasm, you did, but my comments on LN or Fara selling old men 915's with small tails seemd to fall on deaf ears.
Its not just thst I think the AR1 is one of the ugliest birds out there, the GINORMOUS sail area is ridiculous and the small tail feathers are a concern.
Throw in the idea that the machine is going to a 70+ year old fixed wing pilot and the manufacturer/seller has all the compassion of a DF whose rigs (helis) killed folks.
This gyro world is one strange beast.
When asked about them I usually say " its a crack addiction, same highs and will kill you just as easily!"

A very telling factoid people, I have lost more friends to gyros then bomb disposal!
No lie....

Sun May 29, 2022 6:44 pm

Eric S wrote:
Henry Bowman wrote:
I agree Giro.

Doesn't have to. A big, ugly T-tail in the prop wash would stop torque roll.

Eric , I agree 100 %

Cierva patented this 80 years ago or so, Chuck Beaty explained how to adjust the HS wings in AOA to finish this torque issues ... but all our pro makers don't try to make aircrafts , they rush to propose new motors to satisfy the market ...

when you think that magni on it's last gyro ( the enclosed tandem) has chosen to keep the HS out the prop wash ... stupid

I just have a tiny tall tail gyro , but believe me the tall tail by itself eliminates most of the roll effect of the engine torque ... when I was flying magnis , during take off I had to make a left input to the stick to avoid the gyro to go right ... it is stupid .. on my 10.000 euros tiny mono-seater I don't make any stick or rudder input ... neither during take off nor during landing ... nothing at all ..
I can play with the throttle as much as I want the gyro will never lift or low it's nose..

how come a purely uneducated home builder like me can achieve those results and not the professional maker..

all of this will kill .. those engines will kill especially old FW pilots who only spend a few hours of FW/gyro transition dual training just because their instructor how will sell then dear gyros won't invest more the a few hours before sending them to death !

a gyro in zero G is like a satellite in micro gravity .. it spins around it's centre of gravity as a result of any momentum force ..

when you read all the discussion on RWF you alway find Euro bath tubs flying gyro fans to defends those bog pieces of shiit

I hope that the people who design built and sell those unbalanced machines will go to jail when clients will die.

Mon May 30, 2022 5:45 am

Dropbear wrote:
Henry Bowman wrote:
I agree Giro.

WILL?????? ...THEY ALREADY HAVE ...just look at the several 915rotax-powered fatals in the last year!

One-up ...1/2 tank fuel ....longer rotors for higher elevations! ADD ( 150+ HP rotax/conversion's ...ADD low-time hastily signed /transitioned older pilots from FW background! )----> DISASTER!

old FW pilots ( I mean old in terms of hours of flight) will always keep their old reflexes under stress, under stress we gyro pilot all pull down throttle ... they don't !

it is enough to put full throttle 150 hp and to push the stick during a steep ascent to flip the giro like a sunday pan cake ... how come they can ignore this ... ?

they ignore this because their are clients ... and dealer sell them dear gyros .. and they don't want to spend hours and hours training them to discover what is a gyro ...

when you simply see all those experiences FW pilots landing a gyro you understand that they are not gyro pilots, they don't even know hey are close to death ...

Mon May 30, 2022 5:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]