It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 11:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Wolverine Helicopter Pilot builds his own Hearse 

This guy is definitely WOLVERINE material

Prince Phillip passed away just short of his 100th birthday . I always liked Phillip .... down to earth guy .... often made politically incorrect statements .... helicopter pilot ..... also flew an ultralight

His favorite vehicle was a Land Rover and he owned a 2003 Defender TDS which he had repainted Military Green .

About 20 years ago Phillip & the Queen were discussing funeral arrangements and he quipped .... "just toss me in the back of a Land Rover and take me to Windsor" ... and to show he meant it he lengthened it and added brackets to hold his coffin

Philip's first airborne flying lesson took place in 1952 and by his 70th birthday he had accrued 5,150 pilot hours. He was presented with Royal Air Force wings in 1953, helicopter wings with the Royal Navy in 1956, and his private pilot's license in 1959.

In 1959, he flew solo in a Druine Turbulent, becoming the first and only member of the royal family to have flown a single-seat aircraft.

The Druine Turbulent is a French single-seat ultralight Homebuilt aircraft powered by a 30 hp Volkswagen engine.

After 44 years as a pilot, he retired in August 1997 with 5,986 hours spent in 59 different aircraft.

RIP Prince Phillip

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:14 am

He flew the Westland Wessex which is a British-built turbine-powered development of the Sikorsky H-34

Used as a submarine hunter by the British Navy , as well as Search And Rescue and troop transport.

They say even in retirement whenever he was around helicopters he would find the pilots and mechanics so he could hang out with them and trade stories.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:47 am

Interesting guy. He died at 99 years, on the 9th of April, and the 99th day of 2021.

His bloodline goes back to intetesting times.

One of his famous quotes was and I am shooting from the hip here...
"If I am reincarnated, I would like to come back as a virus".

Many of the Royal family are into depopulation of the planet. Not conspiracy , but their own words from time to time.

I love his hearse ride.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:57 am

"If it doesn't fart or eat hay, she's not interested." .... (quote by Phillip when asked about his horse-loving daughter) .... (Princess Anne)

"Well, you didn't design your beard too well, did you?" ... (to designer Stephen Judge about his tiny goatee beard )

"How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?" ... (to a driving instructor Scotland

"Children go to school because their parents don't want them in the house."

"When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife."

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:23 pm

I love that last witty one about the new car or wife..ha

So, I was watching the funeral this morning and was simply taken aback by the AMAZING stone craftsmanship in that building! They had cameras suspended from the ceiling displaying the whole event below, but my eyes were focused on the beautiful stone elliptical arches and their constant EVEN tapering and curvatures all meeting precisely.

Whomever set that camera..did a superb job as it was on the centerline of all the converging stone architecture. I didnt see much life in the royality below, but the stonework was ALIVE. I can only guess how many tens of thousands of man hours it took to create. I could literally spend 500 years studying the creativity of man, and we all know where that comes from.

My God, what humbling views as I contemplate chopping a stupid rectangular hole through a tree trunk. If I were allowed to work on that building, I might be qualified to sweep up the stone chips from the stone masters. However, I know I would go home with a chisel and hammer and see if I could at least gauge out a straight line. Maybe I could only carve in curved linea and not be able to carve a straight line. I mean seriously, I got started building curved stairways because I failed at building any straight ones.

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]