It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Rare Rabbit for Hillberg 

I know you like bunnies Hillberg .... so do I .... as far as I can tell all our free range "airport bunnies" have survived another winter ... they turn white in the fall to blend in with the snow , then go back to brown in the spring.

Came across this rare breed that cannot hop , so they walk on front legs to get around

(Quote from the article)
Quote:
Genetic researchers have reportedly solved a longstanding mystery surrounding a strange breed of rabbit that walks on its two front feet rather than hopping. The curious creatures, which were first found in France back in the 1930s, are a domesticated species known as 'sauteur d’Alfort.' For reasons heretofore unknown, the bunnies are unable to jump and, instead, employ a bizarre method of locomotion wherein they lift themselves up on their front feet and walk. As one might imagine, their odd gait has puzzled scientists for nearly a century, but a new study appears to have determined the cause of their unique way of moving.

In a newly published paper, genetic researchers Miguel Carneiro and Leif Andersson explained how they bred a sauteur d’Alfort with a more traditional New Zealand white rabbit. The resulting slew of offspring, comprised of 52 in total, allowed them to pinpoint a specific genetic mutation that causes a malfunction in the muscle coordination of the creature and prevents it from being able to jump. Faced with that obstacle, the sauteur d’Alfort in turn naturally adopts the unorthodox style of walking as a means of compensating for its otherwise hindered mobility. By solving this mystery, the researchers were also able to, for the first time, identify the specific genes which make jumping possible for rabbits and similar animals which hop as a form of locomotion.

source
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/ ... arre-walk/

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:34 am

My favorite rabbit story involves my dad when he was alive. Don....read no further since you love wabbits ha

Dad was sitting in his easy chair watching a rabbit out in his yard. A cat sprung out of the bushes and pounced on the rabbit and killed it. The cat was dragging it off and dad got out of his chair, went outsude and scared the cat off. He took the rabbit , cleaned it, and then threw it in the skillet and fried him up! Just like in the jungle, survival of the fittest!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:45 am

Cool stuff right there Arnie

Stan, [Bad Cat] "Waste not want not" - comes to mind, Your pops was a cool dude

I call your finger food at the harbor, They come running from 100 yards to see me. The local red tailed hawk knows this too.

Amazing to get close to urban nature.

critters at my feet and a hawk two feet from my head :pbunny

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]