It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 airstrip advice, may have a spot to fly from! 

so an old ultralight pilot that has become a wealthy land owner here is making a sub division. I was put in touch with him to ask about a new place to fly.
he has an area with a paved road, no houses and no power lines!!!! the road is 625 feet long on the back side of a hill.
it seems perfect, it is secluded and behind a gate. no one will be there but me!!!

however the steep hill is where the wind will be coming from, so if I take off down hill, the wind will be at my tail. to me that means they will sort of even out. On landing I will be going uphill and into the wind, so that shouldnt be any issue.

what should I be aware of, looking out for if I try this road? how steep is too steep? how strong a tail wind should I be concerned about? and 600 feet should be plenty, but what do you suggest as an abort distance, being as I am going down hill?

Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:02 am
Site Admin

I wouldn't be wanting to take off down hill with a tail wind... the ground speed will be too high and will gobble the runway fast? Why cant you take off up hill into the wind? :noidea :wol2 :Wolvie

:Jim

:guam

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:35 pm

It may be possible, but the terrain rises sharply a few hundread feet just beyond the end of street.
I could try it first uphill a few times first to see how long it takes to get airborne and the bank left.
There is another spot that may become available soon as well.
Honestly this is bullshit. The only reason Im looking at this shit is because the local international airport wont let any one fly that doesnt carry 1 million dollars 3rd party liability insurance.
Ive tried 12 different comapanies and no luck yet.
Im pretty sure its illegal as I have an N Number, but everyone here thinks its legit.

Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:51 pm

Henry....Landing into the wind..uphill...no problem. But landing downhill with the wind..

and we arent talking a 1000 foot runway. .
There will be times that wind will be stronger than you thought, now your groundspeed is faster and your runway just became shorter. You might run out of runway before you run out of ideas.
Another thing to consider is that your tailwind will increase as you lift off the ground. A 10 mph tailwind at ground level will easily get to 15 then 20 mph real quick.

But dont take my advice...I have 0 experience tearing up any aircraft or rotorcraft.

Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:04 pm

No, I always figured on landing uphill into the wind. It was that on take off I would go down hill with the wind.
But Muz and you are right, the ground roll and airspeed will be very quick indeed.
I will look at it again with an eye towards taking off uphill and turning away from mountain.
I have some pics, but cant figure how to pist.

Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:15 pm

Henry....I reread my post...and I was ageeing with the landing into the wind uphill...as you want to.

I was strongly advising NOT trying downwind downhill takeoffs. I would hate to see you hurt or your awesome Sportvopter bent up!

Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Taking off downhill with a tailwind be ready for blade flap. It can get real expensive even if you only trash the blades.

Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:17 pm

I thought of that, my gyro will prerotate to just about 300 rpms if I push it.
But it is something that is giving me pause.
You wouldnt think it was this damn hard to find a spot....literally looking at buying property just to fly from.

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:59 pm

Not only you have a nasty ground speed on lift off but at about 15 mph air speed you'll lose translational lift - Net zero.

Lost a turbine Exec with a down hill down wind take off. FAA advice screwed him (Jerry still the nicest guy you'll meet at the FAA) Just don't ask for advice :laughing

Nose in the wind - Cyclic for speed and throttle for altitude - Hit translational and go :dance

Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:14 pm

Okay you guys got me convinced, sooo next question, what fo I need to know about uphill launches?
How steep is too steep?

Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:45 pm
Site Admin

With a decently powered gyro, uphill launches are not an issue... what is the issue with (how I understand it)your proposed strip, is the big hill at the top... so, if you take off uphill and the motor quits, your only option is to land on the rising hill... or turn down wind and get alot of instant sink.

Obviously, if the motor keeps running fine, there is no issue... it is just that motors can stop unexpectedly, so it has to be #1 priority that you have somewhere to land if all goes quiet :eek :laughing :wol2 :Wolvie

:guam

Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:41 pm

Good point Muz, it is not an ideal location, but it has some big plusses, no looky loos, paved, no powerlines, permission to use it. And it is 650 ft long.
If I take off in first third and just climb, if something happens that should leave me 2/3 to set down...or get high enough for a 180 switch back.
Still not sold on it. Well see.

Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:08 pm

I fly off the side of an old volcano. The hangar is in front of the crater. The strip is 2100'. Maybe 100' is somewhat level. I train for downwind takeoffs and landings. Your problem is the short length of the runway. If you can find another strip that is longer you can find out what it takes for your machine. I was a fixed wing BFI but have no interest in training in gyros. My strip for many years was 220' long with one way in and out over a high hill. I had a $20 bill for anyone that would land there. I had no takers. Lol!

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:13 pm
Site Admin

That was my thinking Benry... if it were me, I would be flying off of there for sure. My thoughts, without having seen it myself, would be to, on the first flight of the day, Do a full power takeoff and landing without leaving the strip (just to check the engine under load)... then taxy back for another actual takeoff. On taking off, I would do like a tight climbing 'circuit, with each circuit taking me down wind a bit more, so if the engine has any issues, can still make it back to the strip (landing up hill into the wind)

Having as many airstrips available to you as you can is a good thing. Once you get to try it, you will know immediately if it is safe or not. I still like the idea of the international airport myself :laughing

Gyrodude, with a fixed wing taking off down wind and down hill is a bit different from a gyro. With a plank, you simply have to have the power to reach the speed (air and ground) that the wing WILL fly at (plus a bit more) and you are golden. The fixed wing is quite capable of alot faster ground run until that speed is reached.. you just need a long enough strip.

A gyro on the other hand.... downwind, you never know EXACTLY when the rotor is ready to fly... and because a gyro is so top heavy it is unstable at speed on the ground... you may run into issues trying to get enough ground sped to get the rotors to come up... then find something like the crown of the runway guiding you off the runway into a ditch or something.(at high ground speed)

All just my own opinions

Also, a tail wind gust at exactly the wrong moment could ensure you cant safely get off, even on a mile long runway. :badluck :wol2 :Wolvie

:Confederate

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:12 pm

I dont do downwind, downhill takeoffs in a gyro. Things can go to crap in a hurry.

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Guys, you got me sold. No down wind downhill....
I can"t go back to being gyroless again.
There may be a much better area soon. Construction area is clearing a flat area that may be much much better. As for airport.
Is it even legal for a public use runway to bar an N nu.bered airceaft from using it because of a lack of insurance?

Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:14 pm

Henry......I love the Sportcopter gyro. It has an off roading stance to it like the Behemoth has.

We all just are inputing so we can keep seeing your beast flying many years.

I think yours is the coolest Sportcopter around. I used to think Doug Smiths was...but not till I saw yours.

Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:25 am

Thanks Heli
It is one sexy beast...
Just not so sexy sitting in a garage not flying...

Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:29 am
Site Admin

When do you intend to try the new strip Benry?

Can we look at it on google maps?:noidea I have maps open on Guam (looks like it hasn't tipped over yet?) :laughing :pop :yoda2 :Wolvie

Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:18 am

Well, I havent bought a suitable trailer yet. Slim pickins here on Guam.
I had originally had it delivered to the hanger it was at, so I never purchased a trailer.
My buddy helped move it with his work trailer when I got the boot.
There is one for sale but its a tilt trailer and not sure if it will accomodate the length between front and tailwheel.
They want 5600 bucks too!
Damn Guam prices.
Ill get you some lat long numbers on the road.

Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next