It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 2:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 For Sale: Dominator-style Gyro 

For sale: Low hours Dominator-type gyro built in 2015.
Set-up with: Yamaha 973cc. carbureted engine (appx.120 bhp), 3 blade scimitar-type carbon-fiber composite propeller, 28" Dragon Wing rotor blades, hydraulic pre-rotator.

The machine flies excellent.

SOLD.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by TangoGyro on Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 26, 2016 10:07 am

That looks nice, is that the one you have been flying at Zephyr hills?

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Thu May 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Yes, that is the one I have been flying in Zephyrhills Fl.

Thu May 26, 2016 3:10 pm

A little background and then a question:

I am a BIG guy (just over 300#) with a BIG wife (just under,,,,,,,never mind, just big) and I am working on a PPL FW (I bought a 1953 TriPacer to learn, since a Cessna was too small). I have never flown in a Gyro (Gabor said he will help to find someone to give me an intro ride, but I have to wait until school is over, I teach High School in North Central Florida).

I am considering doing the same thing with a Gyro as I am with the TriPacer to get my training, but I am sure my wife (who is losing weight BTW, while I seem to be finding all that she loses), will want to fly with me after I get the Gyro add on to the PPL.

So now for the question: What is the payload available for this specific Gyro (Gross - EW, I can work around the Fuel amounts, since we will be using the TriPacer for any cross country travel)?

I understand that I will need to do a new hang test and may need to make new plates to get the balances correct, but I am just wondering if I should continue to look around for a used Gyro or get on the board and get everyone (Gabs, Jake, Scott, etc.) involved in a build design for me (UFGG, Ultra Fat Guy Gyro).

Ernie told me that I would need a very small CFI-Gyro (I believe he said 125#) if I were looking for instruction in a standard Twin Dom, but since this is a Dom-Style, I am hoping I might have a little more, ummm, flexibility?

Kenny in Florida

Fri May 27, 2016 1:16 pm

To answer your question, the approximate payload capability of this particular machine is 550# +/- 10.
However, at Bensen Days '16, I saw Ernie from Rotorflight Dynamics flying a particular set of rotor blades. Which, (if my memory serves me right), he mentioned are designed for heavier loads. Since this is a Dominator-type machine (and he builds them) it might be beneficial to explore that option.
Being a rather robust individual such as yourself, it is not out of the realm of possibility that building a UFGG (as you call it) might be the best way to go.
I hope my answer has been of some help.

Fri May 27, 2016 2:19 pm
Site Admin

Kenny I know Lofty did well with me when I was #267 plus breakfast so I am sure any Eurogyro could take 33 lbs more even if they have to spare some fuel from the tanks in order to do so!!!!

Fri May 27, 2016 2:23 pm
Site Admin

Another thing. Ron Awad had his dominator with the same engine and flew Bear Perkins who is # 320!!!!!
I flew that dominator and it had plenty of punch. He flew it with 28 footer Dragon Wings

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 27, 2016 2:36 pm

Thanks Tango. I spoke with Ernie about the "heavy weight " rotors and that was his suggestion as well. I was just thinking that your machine might be a much faster way to get in the air. I will still have to wait until I can get a ride in one to make sure I like that type of flying, but if it's still available when I do, then I could be back in touch.

Thanks Gabor. I am limited by finances (you did see where I said I am a teacher right?). We are also sending both of our children off to UCF this fall, so we're cutting a few coners on "pleasure " activities. I'm still very excited about gyros! I will be trying to find a ride after school is out next week, so any suggestions are welcome.
Kenny in Florida

Fri May 27, 2016 3:03 pm
Site Admin

I don't know what the weight limitations are on the AR1 Greg Spicola teaches in.....If you read this Greg or Abid please chime in on it. Thanks guys.
:wol

Fri May 27, 2016 3:14 pm

The only 125Lb gyro cfi I can think of is Davey Seace, but he is not a CFI (was BFI before sport pilot rules).

Tango do you have the empty weight of your gyro?

just wondering, The old ron Awad gyro weighed 401lbs empty with a rotax 618, and i think that ron said it was around
550Lb with the yamaha, extra fuel tank, battery etc. just wondering how yours is, the lighter it is the weight per HP is available.

Rick martin owns it now and flies it regularly, He should be familier with what the Dom with a yamaha 120 will carry.

Fri May 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Looks like we need a market for :beefcake gyros! :laughing

Seriously. Ah if rotax just made a 150 hp engine......nevermind, it would cost $50k and only people with "fat" wallets would
be able to afford.

Fri May 27, 2016 4:55 pm
Site Admin

Lycoming,Continental, Franklin does!

Fri May 27, 2016 8:49 pm
Site Admin

kmethvin wrote:
A little background and then a question:

I am a BIG guy (just over 300#) with a BIG wife (just under,,,,,,,never mind, just big) and I am working on a PPL FW (I bought a 1953 TriPacer to learn, since a Cessna was too small). I have never flown in a Gyro (Gabor said he will help to find someone to give me an intro ride, but I have to wait until school is over, I teach High School in North Central Florida).

Kenny in Florida

Kenny, you should get in touch with FJ and Christine, I am sure they could organise a test blast in a Far Superior Titanium... Christine is used to flying with a rather large :beefcake (sorry FJ) :laughing

I am not sure if a Dom style gyro would be the way to go for a pair of well fed Americans... although, I could be wrong.

Just remember, if you do go for a demo ride, undoubtedly you will get 'bitten by the gyro bug' which, unfortunately.... there is no cure for (and it can be very hard on the wallet) :badluck

The green Dom sure is a beautifully presented machine :koolaid :lick Any nibbles yet Tango? :noidea :pop :yoda2 :Wolvie

Annnnnd.... double :fickyou FJ :chainsaw

:Confederate

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Fri May 27, 2016 11:44 pm

I was going to try for a ride on Saturday during Bensen Days, but we could only stay for the day and after the showcase, egg drop and rain, we had to call it a day and head home. Spent some time talking to Earnie about the heavy DWs, Gabor about the Sky Crusier, David and Stan during the showcase fly by and Vance, Chuck Berry and I can't remember the last man during the rain. I think the next time I will be close to Chris and FJ (and therefore close to a TG) will be Oshkosh and I just don't see the possibility of a ride then. GordonT shared some information with me that might have an impact what I will be looking for in the future, but I don't want to cause any more thread creep than I already have, so I will start another thread tomorrow (late night,just back at relative's house after a wedding and typing on a phone)

Kenny in Florida

Sun May 29, 2016 12:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]