It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Anyone got a good second hand rotorhead for sale? 
Site Admin

There you go. High res. You can enlarge it till it flows off the monitor :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:07 pm

THX Gabor... for reversing the black background... kinda rough on the eyes.

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:04 pm
WORKS EVERY-TIME!!! :laughing :laughing :boink :laughing

Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:07 pm

Awesome! Thanks!

I spent all my money on Bikes, Broads, and Booze, the rest I wasted.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:17 am

Gab,

What head are these drawings for?
The reason I ask is because I have an Air Command head and I'm fairly certain that the 2 bolts that hold the towers to the bearing block are 5/16" (AN5's).

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:18 pm
Site Admin

This is what Pete Johnson perfected and made for the Behemoth.....twice :)

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:31 pm
Site Admin

My original rotor heads were only 1/4" in double sheer, same as that..... I must admit, I later made them 5/16" :laughing :laughing

1/4" was obviously strong enough... they just didn't look it... and like I always say, if it is worth building, it is worth overbuilding :like :rofl :Wolvie

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:02 pm
Site Admin

rcflier wrote:
Plus, I don't like to be frowned upon by all the "normal" people.....

Have no fear.... apart from me, I don't think there are any normal people here :noidea :laughing :laughing

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Gabor wrote:
This is what Pete Johnson perfected and made for the Behemoth.....twice :)

This one?

Somewhere I have some drawings I made for taller teeter towers for the Air Command head, and Bensen head.
This allows using the top hole in the Dragon Wings teeter block for the proper undersling.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:09 pm
Site Admin

Yes Sir! That was the first one......some idiot crashed my machine.
The second one is prettier .............

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:47 pm

MadMuz wrote:
rcflier wrote:
Plus, I don't like to be frowned upon by all the "normal" people.....

Have no fear.... apart from me, I don't think there are any normal people here :noidea :laughing :laughing

Murray, I'm counting on it. :plike

It's just that I want to do something out of the ordinary - even the spam can pilots think homebuilders or...gyros (eek!) are weird.

Cheers
Erik

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:54 pm
Site Admin

Spam can pilots think we are weird :noidea :laughing :laughing :Wolvie

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:58 am
Gabor wrote:
It's not supposed to be black......
Let me give it a try.

Attachment:
Pot_Calling_the_Kettle_Black.jpg

MadMuz wrote:
Spam can pilots think we are weird :noidea :laughing :laughing :Wolvie

:realcrazy :laughing :laughing :laughing

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:05 am

GyroGeorgia wrote:
Hi Erik,

Welcome to SW forum, glad to have you here!

You and I may be in similar places... I am in the middle of building a machine shop in my basement. I have a Taiwanese clone of a Bridgeport J head mill set up and functional... and probably the last week of Feb, a Taiwanese 13x40 gun-smithing quality lathe will (finally) arrive.
Now I need to work with them and develop the skills. And yeah, one day I will build a rotor head from scratch also... albeit it will not be anywhere as good as Jake's... :)

Will be watching for your build thread... always something to learn!

John/GA

Hi John. I hope you shop is well on its way.

Well, guns aren't a big hit here (in Denmark at all), since we don't have so many floating around. But I do know a gunsmith on this small island.
Nice guy and very good with his tools, I think. We have talked about visiting each other's shop. But so far it hasn't happened.

BTW, when I was in the US in 1988, I visited a small gun shop south of Orlando on the Orange Blossom Trail. They had a club on the premises, weapons for hire
and a small shooting range. So I spent 3 days there shooting, making a mountain of casings trying all the pistols and revolvers. I saved the S&W 589 Mag44
for the last - and I was a bit frightened of myself. I felt 10 feet high and 5 feet wide with this good friend in my hand. Good thing that was the last one.

You can see my small lathe (11 x 20) and mill at http://www.lillebo.dk. My mill is really something and I have most of the accessories and tooling I'd like for it.

One of the first things I need to do is install DRO on both machines. A DRO on the mill will help me make precisely placed holes. And square off the ends of tubes nicely.

But I haven't got much experience with these machines - yet. What a nice way to learn. :D

I'll certainly make a build thread, when I get to it. A good place for me to ask all those questions, hehe.

Cheers
Erik

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:05 pm

rcflier wrote:
GyroGeorgia wrote:
Hi Erik,

Welcome to SW forum, glad to have you here!

You and I may be in similar places... I am in the middle of building a machine shop in my basement. I have a Taiwanese clone of a Bridgeport J head mill set up and functional... and probably the last week of Feb, a Taiwanese 13x40 gun-smithing quality lathe will (finally) arrive.
Now I need to work with them and develop the skills. And yeah, one day I will build a rotor head from scratch also... albeit it will not be anywhere as good as Jake's... :)

Will be watching for your build thread... always something to learn!

John/GA

Hi John. I hope you shop is well on its way.

Well, guns aren't a big hit here (in Denmark at all), since we don't have so many floating around. But I do know a gunsmith on this small island.
Nice guy and very good with his tools, I think. We have talked about visiting each other's shop. But so far it hasn't happened.

You can see my small lathe (11 x 20) and mill at http://www.lillebo.dk. My mill is really something and I have most of the accessories and tooling I'd like for it.

One of the first things I need to do is install DRO on both machines. A DRO on the mill will help me make precisely placed holes. And square off the ends of tubes nicely.

But I haven't got much experience with these machines - yet. What a nice way to learn. :D

I'll certainly make a build thread, when I get to it. A good place for me to ask all those questions.

Cheers
Erik

Hi Erik,

THX for the reply... understand about EU counties not being as 'gun friendly' as the USA... We are the 'wild west'... LOL

The 13x40 lathe is of gun-smithing quality, high accuracy and assembled with high grade parts (bearings, gears, ways, etc)... the only thing about it that was designed specifically for gun work is the short spindle tube (14" if I remember, and 1.55" bore). Makes for easy rifle barrel work. Honestly... with all the govt paper BS associated with doing gunsmith work... I probably will not do it.
I chose this lathe because most of the low cost machine tools (new) are Chinese... and quality is questionable. One can pay about 1/3 more and get Taiwanese made... which is a HUGE step up in quality.
Since I plan to build a 'parts making' hobby/business for retirement... I chose to get the better machines. My mill is also Taiwanese.

If you are interested, here are a couple of threads on where I am with the machine shop and rebuild of a single Dominator:

Here is the thread for the Dominator rebuild:
http://skywolverines.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=385
Currently, the frame is on the stand again, the wheels and engine mount are in my shop. The wheels so I can modify and add hydraulic disc brakes, the engine mount so I can change the motor mount bushing design for vibration isolation. The wheel project requires the lathe... which is the tree across the road of progressing with the gyro restoration.

And here is the thread for the machine shop:
http://skywolverines.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1401

If I ever get to your country, would love to see your shop.

Looking forward to reading your build thread... there are a lot of builders here at SW... glad to have you aboard!

John/GA

Member PeachState Rotorcraft club
Member Sunstate Rotor & Wing Club
Owner/builder of
The Subinator: Single place Dominator/Subaru EA-81
(currently in full restoration)
Soon to offer machine shop services

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi John.

A late correction:

The gun was a S&W 689 - they mentioned the gun used by Clint Eastwood in the first Dirty Harry movie was the predecessor.

And the link to some of my machines is: http://www.lillebo.dk/wp

This evening I'll have a talk with the materials guy of our gyro union.
This new one was very positive in the email, he sent me.
If I start in earnest, I'll make a shop/build thread here.
So I can absorb all the advice, all of you will provide (I hope).

Cheers
Erik

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2