It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 4:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 MH-1 for sale. 

Not to mention, I flew it when I got back from Mentone until I got the new cogged gear built. Not to mention the engine was in the not up to its normal performance mode as well. Which I didn't suspect until we done some engine test and we rebuilt it back all new to zero time. Now it fly's like a bat out of hell like it should. Stan you want another go at it sometime if it don't sale, its all yours to try again. Rick spent a lot of days rebuilding my engine when I was down and broke, I bought the parts and he done the labor for free. Not to mention he brought it back and helped me put it back together and break it in correctly. I love you Rick. Your the best in the business.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:46 am
Profile WWW

John- First of all...we have all lost our cool before...so allow me a "pass" on me being pissed off ok? I just have been ribbed once to many times about that...and I was pissed off.....I am sorry ....I should have kept it to myself.....but I would have just exploded bigger next time. Sorry that I got my wires crossed....I usually am more tolerant.. I know your MH-1 has a lot more power than it did when I was in it

I appreciate your offer to try it again, but I was barely capable back then, and would be very rusty now and getting rustier by the month. It would be a good recipe for balling up all your beautiful work.

Tim......My gut feeling was telling me not to be test flying your helicopter. I had everything to lose if my reactions weren't fast or correct. I was a fledgling helicopter pilot then, and was still one my last helicopter flight.

I feel I lucked out flying my Helicycle ....and it was more luck than skill that kept it unscratched.

I consider myself retired from flying and I wish everyone have as much fun as I did.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:36 am
Site Admin

hawkracing wrote:
I don't know why anybody would fault Stan or anyone taking the controls (throttle management is another story :) ) of the MH1...its a hand full! I have 80+ hrs in the 269 and feel very comfortable now with throttle control. So much so that I have to tell myself not to twist throttle when in the OH-6, Huey etc. for the first few minutes. After that its so nice not having that work load to deal with...almost makes me feel lazy :D :D

It does become automatic. Which is a good thing. Nothing beats the shaking of the aircraft on final turn because the student rolls it the wrong way and the blades are about to stop!!! :eek
I flew an R44 and did not appreciate the machine adding my throttle needs! :argue
It messes up your throttle guys just as much as handling the throttle for the guys that are not used to doing so.
I have learned a lot of technique saving my butt simply using the throttle.
Stuck pedal and crap like that.
I feel it is an extra tool instead of an extra task.
But that's just me. The next guy might think the opposite.
We are all individuals with different taste and different opinions.
And on top of that we have the curse of being helicopter pilots!
We are screwed!!!!!!!!!!!
:die

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:49 am

I had a stuck pedal incident when I flew to southern Illinois last summer.

I had changed my tail rotor slider lube to grease instead of light oil...

The flight was almost 1.5 hours of velvet smooth air. I hadn't needed to put in any pedal movements the whole flight. I was landing at an airport to get some JetA, when I noticed my pedsls were stuck! I mean stuck!

I was down to a hover trying to nudge the pedals left and right with jabs that would change the pitch a little. I would be slowly turning left....then slowly turning right as the pedals had to be jabbed and they would bump too much. Finally with throttle control I got the turning stopped....and set it down quickly. I shut it down and had some Marvel Mystery oil with me which soon worked it's way into my slider....and end of stuck pedals! After that, I made sure to exercise my pedals once in a while to keep them from doing that again. My slider would only freeze up with grease...and never with oil.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:16 am
Site Admin

On a chopper throttle, does the throttle increase rpm twisting out at the top? Or do they increase throttle twisting it in at the top (same as a motorbike) ? :noidea

Just wondering :laughing :Wolvie

If electricity comes from ELECTRONS, then surely morality comes from MORONS??

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:03 am

MadMuz- The throttle is opposite of a motorcycle
. I have driven motorcycles since I was 12 years old, and I had to relearn that throttle.
When you pull up on the collective with your left hand, your left hand acts like a correlator and it naturally rolls on more throttle...and vice versa.

Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:32 pm
Site Admin

So, as pulling up on the collective, to add power, your wrist rolls out so the top of the throttle handle rolls towards the door.... that is power up..... power down is your wrist and the top of the handle rolls towards your leg :like

Or to put it simply, while stationary on the ground without the machine running, if you lean in the right door and grab the center collective throttle twist grip.... rolling on the throttle (open) is opposite to a motorbike, and doing the motorcycle power on movement would be closing the throttle in a chopper?

Sorry, just ruling out any confusion in my own head :laughing :laughing

Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:38 pm

MadMuz wrote:
So, as pulling up on the collective, to add power, your wrist rolls out so the top of the throttle handle rolls towards the door.... that is power up..... power down is your wrist and the top of the handle rolls towards your leg :like

Or to put it simply, while stationary on the ground without the machine running, if you lean in the right door and grab the center collective throttle twist grip.... rolling on the throttle (open) is opposite to a motorbike, and doing the motorcycle power on movement would be closing the throttle in a chopper?

Sorry, just ruling out any confusion in my own head :laughing :laughing

You got it MadMuz .

Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:40 am
Site Admin

Kuuuuul :koolaid :like

Hey Stan.... I reckoned you did well with that hovering (levitating if there was any wind :laughing ) you were handling it well.... John was just tormenting you coz it needed to be done :laughing He was just teasing you like we all tease John R about somehow being related to one of the dukes of hazard :rofl :rofl

I mean, you got into a strange (to you) chopper and were indeed hover-tating well :laughing and all was good..... If it had been me trying it, I reckon I would have been trimming that crop behind you and accidently doing a show to rival R Davis (only not on purpose) & prolly given the machine back upside down and in about 40 pieces (the pieces that could be found that is) :eek :badluck :laughing :laughing

John wasn't having a go at you, he was just being funny (trying to :eek ) :laughing .... chill out Stan :like I am sure you can find some shit to throw back at him :rofl :rofl :rofl We all know you did an exquisite job of flying your turbinator..... trying a different machine with a totally different power plant is always going to take some careful change over training.... I for one reckon you did awesome.... like everything you do :like :Wolvie :pop

All is good.... we are all mates here... ya cop some shit.... you give some shit..... all good, no :drama :Flag :Can :OZ

Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:27 am
Site Admin

The simple reason is anatomy. Pulling upwards while twisting your wrist outward is almost impossible without changing grip. Same goes for lowering and and rolling towards you would quickly force you to re- grip :)

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:30 am
Site Admin

I wonder if any left handed chopper pilots sit in the left seat, left hand on stick and use the right hand on the center collective?

As well as annoying, I am ambidextrous when it comes to joystick flying, happy to use right hand or left hand on stick, so I usually put a throttle each side of the seat, so I can use either or :laughing :laughing

I always have to be different :what :realcrazy :killme :laughing :laughing

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:35 am

Madmuz- If you operated the collective with your right hand, the natural rolling action of your wrist when raising the collective would actually try to roll off the throttle....just the opposite of what's needed.

I didn't mean to be so sensitive about not having much non governor helicopter time, but this has been mentioned a few other times and I simply wanted to set the story straight that I had full throttle applied.

I also admit that I would need several hours of operating a throttle to get the feel of it. That reflex was non existent as my Helicycle had a governor that was like a cruise control. The rpm,s never varied more than 0.5 %.

My helicopter training was in an R22 which has a governor...but...I did have to have training with the governor off and demonstrate flying without a governor on my checkride.

Since then....what little feel for a throttle I had started getting has long vanished.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:45 pm

Never cared for governors ,I turn the critter off when I could, I think in power management situations a governor (Robinson) doesn't give you any feed back in power limits (You can feel the over travel spring when you top out the throttle) With the auto idiot on you don't even know then you run out of twisty twisty.

With turbines you can burn things up or torque out . but at least the powers there. :bunny Piston limits are just too limited. . . :pbunny

Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2